EB on fire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roxy2 said:
Johnny said:
i know i wouldn't be ducking back in for anything inside that van. did you see how quick it took from the engine to the inside! literally a split second.

scary stuff :(

Saying that I am sure the video was cut/edited slightly!

But all the same ..................

Did you hear the women saying 'oh he's smoking i bet it was that that caused it' Women!!

that valve sounds like a good idea. If you don't switch it from the ignition and hide the switch some where its an anti theft device too

Gerard2009 said:
westbay said:
The simplest type is just a bottle mounted above or to one side in the engine bay at an angle with the head pointing towards the engine. In the event of a fire, the glass bulb shatters and sprays foam or powder in the direction in which it is pointed. This is not necessarily in the exact direction of the fire!

But the idea is to starve the flame of oxygen which any powder or gas extinguisher should do as long as it has a reasonable spread throughout the engine bay. Also the bottles you refer tend to have a spray pattern rather than directional. (Playing devils advocate to get a response to other thoughts)

Ok, I have heard back about a group buy for the solenoid cut off valves. £29.80 each plus post which would work out at about an extra £1 at a guess. Thats a saving of £5 on each unit. I could deliver to Vanfest, post at cost or you can collect from Gloucester, but I would need payment up front.

I also need to sell 10 to get this price.

Let me know asap.

ant said:
that valve sounds like a good idea. If you don't switch it from the ignition and hide the switch some where its an anti theft device too
Does sound a good idea, a quick and easy immobiliser.
Wire it from a switched 12v (coil maybe) via an in-line switch hidden somewhere under the dash and no-one will know.
Does anyone sell an early warning system? Maybe a bi-metalic strip fitted above the engine that lights an LED when the engine bay temp reaches a set level.

froggy said:
ant said:
Does sound a good idea, a quick and easy immobiliser.
Wire it from a switched 12v (coil maybe) via an in-line switch hidden somewhere under the dash and no-one will know.
Does anyone sell an early warning system? Maybe a bi-metalic strip fitted above the engine that lights an LED when the engine bay temp reaches a set level.

Dont know about the metallic strip but could probably come up with something, then again what about a thermometer wired up in the engine bay itself!!!!!

roxy2 said:
Ok, I have heard back about a group buy for the solenoid cut off valves. £29.80 each plus post which would work out at about an extra £1 at a guess. Thats a saving of £5 on each unit. I could deliver to Vanfest, post at cost or you can collect from Gloucester, but I would need payment up front.

Let me know asap.

Sounds like a good idea, do you have a link to the product?

There's this advice off Kamperchat a while back - I don't know how good it is, but I believe the poster is a fireman
http://www.justkampers.com/forum/thread/view/in_case_of_fire_oilybays_guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roxy2 said:
Ok, have done some research and have found a supplier for 12 volt solenoid operated fuel cut off valves. These are normally closed and then open when voltage is applied. Designed for use with low pressure and gravity fed systems. Current price is £35 plus post but am awaiting info on a group buy discount.

The only condition for fitting will be to have an inline filter straight after the tank and then to the valve before feeding on to the carb. Most people have a filter any way so its just a case of moving it back along the pipework. If you fit this valve before the bulkhead you shouldnt have any issues with a fuel fire once the ignition is off. Maybe cheaper than extinguishers or ideal fitted with an extinguisher.

Any one interested?

Yes - why not start a group buy thread. and as has been said usefull if the bus is stolen as they'll only get a quater of a mile down the road until the fuel in the lines has been used,at which point they'll scarper!! not ideal but better a dear John letter off the insurance.

Silver Camper said:
There's this advice off Kamperchat a while back - I don't know how good it is, but I believe the poster is a fireman
http://www.justkampers.com/forum/thread/view/in_case_of_fire_oilybays_guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roxy2 said:

Let me know asap.

Both of these sound good advice to me. I was very lucky with our bus, because after working on our bus over winter 07 we returned from a trip round the block and all seemed fine. I got out of the van and could smell fuel, so I looked underneath and found that fuel was seeping from the pipe from the tank to the pump and dripping near the heat exchangers :shock: . The fabric braded hoses were oozing fuel. I was lucky to spot this before any fire occurred and also as my wife and kits were all in the van.

May well be up for a fuel cut off if you get a group buy organised :)

Darren just pointed me to this thread.....thanks Darren

After looking into fuel line grades and specifications last years I can advise people to use the following :

For 6mm and 8mm Inner Diameter hose - use A1 Marine Hose.

For stock 5.5mm Inner Diameter use SAE J30 R7 or R9 grade hosing.

Both types are designed to withstand the additives and make-up of modern petrol - which now has something like 5% ethanol content. Its the Ethanol that rots older grades of fuel line - like the cloth outbraided stuff - it just was not much of a consideration in the 60s and 70s when Dubs were made.

In a nutshell - this is why old style fuel hose rots and leaks causing fires - its made to old standards and specs before ethanols were introduced into the Petrol blend..

VolksBolts sell both types - with stainless steel fuel hose clips. We will be able to offer a better deal on a 'group' purchase, just so you all know.

Apologies if it has already been posted but I hav a firetec auto extinguisher and in the instructions it says that they sell a relay switch that is attached to the extinguisher pressure gadge so that if the tube is melted and Is set off the switch will be activated and can be used to cut off the fuel and turn on a light put in to the dash so the driver knows there is or was a fire and to pull over. As in theory if the auto kit is as effective as it says it is there is a danger of it going off and putting the fire out but the driver being none the wiser to what has happened in the engine bay and continuing on until the fire starts again. I don't have this add on and have never seen it for sale but when I have a moment I will look in to getting it for the kit for that extra peace of mind. Has any one Got it or seen it already??

Bookwus said:
Hiya All,

Seems to me that such videos should get folks to thinking............gotta change out my fuel hosing.............gotta check all my fuel line connections...............gotta overhaul the carburetor and make sure it's in good nick......................gotta make sure my venting system is working properly......................gotta replace the fuel filter.......................gotta make sure the fuel line passthrough in the front tin is secure.

I'm thinking that it's a whole lot better to prevent the fire from ever happening than to have the tools to fight it once it does get started.

dude this is so true...go check your engines folks! how many of you have the fuel filter inbetween the fuel pump and the copper pipe??? change it immeadiately and put it in between the tank and the copper inlet! how many of you have fuel hose touching or very close to the manifold..it should be copper here! how many of you have a shagged carb thats pissing fuel out of the spindle...i`ll bet at least ten if not 50
I feel that guys pain after losing a bug to a wiring fault but go check your engine. Prevention is better than tools to fight it :!: and its well cheap

Scott,

I am interested in your comments about prevention of engine fires. You said about the possition of the fuel filter and also the fuel line from the tank, over the top of the manifold being copper. I'm not sure if I have missunderstood, but my line from the tank is rubber not copper. I would really like to get this sorted on my bus and would be grateful if you could post a photo of how it should be.
Thanks Eden

There should be rubber hose from the tank down to the firewall, then there is a small bore metal pipe that goes through the firewall and bends around the front of the engine, there is then a peice of rubber pipe (unless you have the original fuel pump) that connects to the pump, and then from the pump to the carb/s.

can you buy these new as I have rubber from my tank to the fuel pump. I have loosley cable tied it the the left hand air outlet on the fan shroud to keep it away from the manifold but I would like to replace it with the proper stuff.

Ive just bought one from VW Heritage in the last 2 weeks. Its not copper but it is metal. Any copper brake line pipe of the correct diameter should do it.

Latest posts