EB on fire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could well be interested but need a little more info first...
- If I use an electric fuel pump wouldn't this have the same effect - i.e. switch the pump off, no more fuel supplied?

a sad sight this one, but hopefully watching this will make us all a bit more carefull. after watching this i checked my fuel pipes(only changed a year ago, but you never know) replaced my small extinguisher with two 1kg ones, and dismantled a domestic smoke alarm, extending the speaker cables.net result is i now have a smoke alarm in the engine bay with the speaker inside the van.

You can never be too careful, dont think that changing your fuel lines regularly is the end of it. I, like many of you, replace my fuel lines religiously every 2 years and check then before a big trip, i last done this just before bugjam including replacing my fuel line tee piece (twin carbs), all was well and i drove my van down to dorset for 2 weeks, however, driving one day i looked at my petrol guage and thought "wheres that £30 of petrol i just put in yesterday went...shit..." switched off the engine to find the entire thing soaked with petrol, the tee piece i fitted only 6 weeks ago had split spraying fuel right at the dizzy and coil! The fact it never went up in smoke is nothing short of a miracle! Just got the van back home safely last night and will not be buying fuel parts from the same place again!

roxy2 said:
Ok, have done some research and have found a supplier for 12 volt solenoid operated fuel cut off valves. These are normally closed and then open when voltage is applied. Designed for use with low pressure and gravity fed systems. Current price is £35 plus post but am awaiting info on a group buy discount.

The only condition for fitting will be to have an inline filter straight after the tank and then to the valve before feeding on to the carb. Most people have a filter any way so its just a case of moving it back along the pipework. If you fit this valve before the bulkhead you shouldnt have any issues with a fuel fire once the ignition is off. Maybe cheaper than extinguishers or ideal fitted with an extinguisher.

Any one interested?

This is exactly what I am looking for! I'm in the process of changing my fuel pipes and would like to fit a fuel cut off valve. Have I missed the boat on the group buy thing? If so could you let me know where I can buy one from? I have been trawling the internet looking for one, but can't seem to find anyone that sells them! :roll:

Xanadu said:
This is exactly what I am looking for! I'm in the process of changing my fuel pipes and would like to fit a fuel cut off valve. Have I missed the boat on the group buy thing? If so could you let me know where I can buy one from? I have been trawling the internet looking for one, but can't seem to find anyone that sells them! :roll:

Yes the group buy ended awhile ago - I took over from Roxy2.....I have probably got the chaps contact details somewhere but a google search brought up this....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solenoid-Valve-12V-Diesel-Petrol-Fuel-Cut-Shut-Off-8mm_W0QQitemZ330413917470QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cee34451e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT * I was right and I have contacted Chris who supplied our group buy, maybe we should start another one? - the new units also come with a DIN plug as an optional extra which makes the wiring neater and more secure afaik. I'll get some details and a price structure and start a new thread.........*

luke said:
You can never be too careful, dont think that changing your fuel lines regularly is the end of it. I, like many of you, replace my fuel lines religiously every 2 years and check then before a big trip, i last done this just before bugjam including replacing my fuel line tee piece (twin carbs), all was well and i drove my van down to dorset for 2 weeks, however, driving one day i looked at my petrol guage and thought "wheres that £30 of petrol i just put in yesterday went...shit..." switched off the engine to find the entire thing soaked with petrol, the tee piece i fitted only 6 weeks ago had split spraying fuel right at the dizzy and coil! The fact it never went up in smoke is nothing short of a miracle! Just got the van back home safely last night and will not be buying fuel parts from the same place again!

a similar thing happened to me with the copper sleeve from the line into the carb came loose. Petrol was literally pouring into a puddle on the tinwear in the engine bay the heat of the engine was causing it to evaporate away. I have no idea how it didnt spark and explode.

dubdubz said:
Xanadu said:

Yes the group buy ended awhile ago - I took over from Roxy2.....I have probably got the chaps contact details somewhere but a google search brought up this....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solenoid-Valve-12V-Diesel-Petrol-Fuel-Cut-Shut-Off-8mm_W0QQitemZ330413917470QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cee34451e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT * I was right and I have contacted Chris who supplied our group buy, maybe we should start another one? - the new units also come with a DIN plug as an optional extra which makes the wiring neater and more secure afaik. I'll get some details and a price structure and start a new thread.........*

they look good but will they do them in 6mm hose attachments keeping the hose size as one will be interested if there's another group buy going on :)

Yes they do do one with 6mm hose connections... I've bought one! Sorry couldn't wait :oops:

sorry for my ignorance but how exactly does the valve work? is it a manual shut off or wired to the ignition side of the vehicle?

im guessing its goes..?

tank>>>>filter>>>>solenoid>>>>pump>>>>carb

Johnny said:
sorry for my ignorance but how exactly does the valve work? is it a manual shut off or wired to the ignition side of the vehicle?

im guessing its goes..?

tank>>>>filter>>>>solenoid>>>>pump>>>>carb

yes Johnny- it has an electrical feed which you can take from anything suitable - like the closed side of the firetec system so the solenoid wouldn't re-open after activation for example....I'll take it from my alarm or coil........

Latest posts