Electric fuel pump vs mechanical??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisco69

Reaction score
I have a rotory fuel pump feeding some 44idf's on a 2110 motor.
I'm considering changing the pump as I had a very badly blocked fuel filter which caused a breakdown. I think the lack of fuel caused the pump to over heat as there was a strong burning smell.

So as a precaution I think it is wise to change the pump.
Now do I really need an electric pump or is the standard mechanical one more than capable of providing enough fuel?
I like the idea of simplifying things so there is less to go wrong.

The advice I have been given recently was to use the mechanical one, it'll put up 7psi at full chat, far more than you need. Just add a pressure regulator, one of the cheap chrome jobbies is fine, and all should be ok.

While getting said advice, there was a motor he was sorting (his own) that had 46IDA's being run by a mechanical pump.

:)

moler said:
The advice I have been given recently was to use the mechanical one, it'll put up 7psi at full chat, far more than you need. Just add a pressure regulator, one of the cheap chrome jobbies is fine, and all should be ok.

While getting said advice, there was a motor he was sorting (his own) that had 46IDA's being run by a mechanical pump.

Thanks! That's good to know as a leccy pump is £70.
Typical though as I sold a brand new malpassi regulator last week for £11.
How important is it to have a regulator?

Frisco69 said:
moler said:

Thanks! That's good to know as a leccy pump is £70.
Typical though as I sold a brand new malpassi regulator last week for £11.
How important is it to have a regulator?

I don't run a regulator with my 36mm DRLAs. Don't know if that helps you, but mine seems happy :lol:

I ran 40's without a reg too. The reg should improve fuel economy as it stops excess fuel getting pushed through the carbs...strangly, only today have I seen a 36 Dell equipped engine sporting said chrome reg!!!

Cheers fellas.
I'll try a mechanical one I think and if the mpg goes down then I'll try a regulator.
I don't trust the leccy pumps as I'm always worried it could pack up miles from home!

Frisco69 said:
Cheers fellas.
I'll try a mechanical one I think and if the mpg goes down then I'll try a regulator.
I don't trust the leccy pumps as I'm always worried it could pack up miles from home!

Faced the same question myself with ICT's - went for electric to reduce the pressure (I did order a reg but didn't have any settings so sacked it as was also replacing all fuel lines anyway) - now I need to fork out on a spare :(

My brother runs Dells IIRC and used shims to raise his pump slightly and reduce the PSI - that being said, it broke down the other day and removing the shims fixed it so not sure it is the best method :oops: - if I had my time again I'd go stock + regulator if that helps - the electric pump allows syphoning which is annoying as I need to then run it for 2 mins on ignition if it's been standing :(

lard said:
Frisco69 said:
Cheers fellas.

Faced the same question myself with ICT's - went for electric to reduce the pressure (I did order a reg but didn't have any settings so sacked it as was also replacing all fuel lines anyway) - now I need to fork out on a spare :(

My brother runs Dells IIRC and used shims to raise his pump slightly and reduce the PSI - that being said, it broke down the other day and removing the shims fixed it so not sure it is the best method :oops: - if I had my time again I'd go stock + regulator if that helps - the electric pump allows syphoning which is annoying as I need to then run it for 2 mins on ignition if it's been standing :(

Cheers!

I found I need to crank the engine for a while to get it started where as the previous engine with mechanical fuel pump usually fired straight away unless left for a few weeks!

Forgot about shimming the pump to adjust the pressure! I'll do that if needed!

Latest posts