Electrical Question......May be a stupid one.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub wannabe

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of posts about leisure battery how to's etc, but I have a question...maybe a silly one. :oops:

Does a ZIG unit do the same job as a split charge relay? If not, other than having a gauge on the ZIG to show battery levels, what does a ZIG unit do.

Sorry if its a silly question...I did warn you!

Hi - I believe (haven't got a Zig) that they will auto switch when hooked up/running from leisure batteries - from what I gather though they are pretty old technology but the convenience of getting it all in one box (charging e.t.c.) and nicely fitted is the attraction,

From here you can see that the Zig will feed your leisure fusebox depending on whether it is hooked up to 240V or on battery - doing it via components (charger connected into hookup then into fusebox) takes up more room and needs a bit more cable run than a Zig:

rearwirediagrammk2.jpg

hope that helps,

Larry

Theres no such thing as a "zig unit" there are several products within their range, from simple meter to full diverse power distribution systems.

If you were'nt going to fit a (no such thing as a :lol: ) "ZIG UNIT" what would you fit instead?

Nice diagram by the way.....thats a keeper!

vdub wannabe said:
Nice diagram by the way.....thats a keeper!

Not mine so can't claim credit (from a post on thesamba) - this one is mine though which contains seperate compontents rather than a Zig ....... part?! :)

Only mod would be a switch installed in the front so I can choose lights from leisure or main batt (as they are LED's now they don't consume too much power and gives me a backup if I run the leisure battery down!)

wiring2.jpg

Off topic, I'm afraid, but back to that original diagram - there's one bit I'm not keen on, and I keep seeing it.

I don't believe that it should show the split charge relay switched by the ignition. It should go to the terminal on the dynamo or alternator that goes to the warning light on the dash. That way you only bring the leisure battery in circuit when the engine is running. Otherwise, you'll be connecting in the leisure battery when you switch on the ignition and try and start the engine, adding load to the vehicle main battery. And if you don't fuse it correctly (fuses aren't show either), with a flat main battery you'll be trying to start from the leisure battery, and I doubt the wiring will be up to it (let alone the leisure battery).

Just a thought.
Nick

A valid point, I used it as a guide and didn't need the ignition feed (which I would have picked from the alternator) as I have a smartcom which switches when it sees over 13V (ish - it's adjustable) but you're right, that diagram could do with changing to make it clearer,

Also good spot on the in-line fuses - will adjust my diagram to include these,

Thanks,

Larry

Latest posts