Electronic ignition

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valentine Won

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if you can test an electronic ignition on a dizzy out of the engine to see if working ok?
cheers shaun

Valentine Won said:
Can anyone tell me if you can test an electronic ignition on a dizzy out of the engine to see if working ok?
cheers shaun

Whats the problem Shaun? Electronic points either work or they dont, if your not getting a spark at all then its more than likely the points especially if it happened all of a sudden...........When the coil fails it does it gradually, and the leads usually break down over time with a missfire now and again....

Shaun, try this, works for Pertronix.
Connect a jumper wire from the Ignitor plate to battery earth.
Connect the red wire from the Ignitor to the battery positive terminal along with the red lead from a volt meter.
Attach the black wire from the Ignitor to the black lead of the volt meter.
Move or rotate the magnet sleeve in front of the Ignitor module, the voltmeter should vary from battery voltage to 0 volts and back. If it does not, then you possibly have a burned out power transistor or a failed Hall cell.

Thanks Wig i will give that a go tomorrow i think i have fryed it i wired it up wrong to the coil when fitting the dizzy :oops:

I did that a couple of times - look for a tell-tale black smudge on the back of the trigger or the top - it usually goes properly when it goes...

Did it fry the ignition every time you fitted wrong or did you get away with it sometimes
no black smudge on the ignitor either
Did test it by Wigs example and the voltage does goe up and down but fitted dizzy in again and no joy still did the spark plug test and getting no spark :cry:

Yeah, fried it both times. Not sure quite how it happened - once was a mechanic, once as me but on both occasions, each swore blind we'd connected it the right way. Went back to points in the end. Have you got a set you can chuck in to see if it works with them?

yeh i do have a set of points to put in the new dizzy if thats what you mean? that might be worth a try :?:
i do have a old dizzy in there anyway with points as i was trying to improve a bit

Valentine Won said:
Did it fry the ignition every time you fitted wrong or did you get away with it sometimes
no black smudge on the ignitor either
Did test it by Wigs example and the voltage does goe up and down but fitted dizzy in again and no joy still did the spark plug test and getting no spark :cry:

I've never known one not to fry when it's been fitted to the coil the wrong way, ignition on & that's it gone, don't ask me how I know lets say its from experience. :oops: :lol:

Ok guys thanks for all the advice looks like i am buying a new electronic ignition :oops: :lol:
live and learn ;)
cheers shaun

Latest posts