Engine bar bolts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilly_70

Reaction score
Guys

Just been doing a bit on the bus today...

my engine is a AD code with an adaptor plate config at the back.

As you can see there is only 2 bolts holding it the the support bar ..

Now to be honest its been like that since I had it ... (10 years! .. yeah I know!)

My question is should there be a bolt in there? .. if you look down the hole, there are no threads, no hole and it doesnt look like it has sheared off in there .. Im pretty sure the casing isn't tapped there .. The other 2 bolts go through the adaptor plate.

So whats my options and does it need a third bolt..

Cheers

Hilly

Can't put a nut on as it's flush up to the rear of the engine casing .. That isn't tapped :)

Hilly

All three bolt holes in the "moustache bar" should be used - this it what is holding the weight of the engine and to a certain extent preventing it twisting under load. It looks like your case has the bump in the casting for the third hole -so you might just need to drill and tap it. Be careful though as the casing is quite soft, and only drill in enough to accommodate a bolt the same length as the one on the other side. You can do this with the engine in but you will need to support the engine by other means while you remove the bar - if you are planning to remove the engine for any other reason it may be best left until then. If the case didn't have the hole tapped it may have come out of a beetle, splitty or later van - early bays need the "universal case " this is the one with the three holes. I have seen cases with different combinations of 1 or two holes and some do not have the lugs at all. Search "moustache bar" on this site and you will find a few pics and other related problems and fixes.

Thanks for the info bud..

I've no prob drilling and tapping if it needs be.

Just needed to make sure it was required.

Hilly

Latest posts