Engine cuts out on sudden stops

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitewater

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Here’s a question I have been meaning to ask for 15 yrs - my 1.6 single port LHD early bus (1969) has always cut out on sudden rather than gradual stopping. If I dab the accelerator pedal just before such a stop the engine usually stays running.
Anybody out there experienced a similar quirk, even if not for 15 yrs?

Hi Clem
Always - I can start her and drive 100 yds to end of my street and it does it or 50 miles up the M5 and it will cut out on the slip road when I brake to stop
Any ideas?

I had this issue and the major problem was with a warn out old carb and the idle jet. New carb improved things for a while but then the problem came back and it turned out I had an air leak from my manifold rubber gaskets. They looked ok-ish (minor cracks) but upon removal, we're swimming in fuel and rotten. I'll dig out my troubleshooting page on here.

Are we talking about , hit the brakes hard and immediately it cuts out or after a second or two? What sort of carbs etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,just fishing for ideas :) :):)

I had this issue and the major problem was with a warn out old carb and the idle jet. New carb improved things for a while but then the problem came back and it turned out I had an air leak from my manifold rubber gaskets. They looked ok-ish (minor cracks) but upon removal, we're swimming in fuel and rotten. I'll dig out my troubleshooting page on here.
Thanks Milfredo,
Will get that looked into
Whitewater

Are we talking about , hit the brakes hard and immediately it cuts out or after a second or two? What sort of carbs etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,just fishing for ideas :) :):)
Hi Ozziedog
it cuts it out immediately if I hit the brakes hard ( a rare occurence, thankfully) but after a couple of seconds at many more gradual stops ( if I am quick enough and dab the accelerator in those couple of seconds it does not cut out).
From memory (the bus is not with me just now but up country for some'cosmetic' work) its a standard carb, not the original and possibly even made in Brazil?
Cheers
Whitewater

Does sound like a blocked idle jet but I think there’s more to it for some reason. Something moving about somewhere possibly blocking the air filter or shorting out around the coil / dizzy praps.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Hhhhmmmmm :unsure:

Had the same issue, serviced the carbs and cured it. Thankfully.

Dear all who advised on my 1969 LHD 1.6 bus ‘sudden stop’ engine cut out problem.
I had the carb stripped down but the spindle was too worn so I got a new carb fitted ( photos attached - anyone know what make it is - I think from VW Heritage) and problem solved. There was also an air leak on manifold rubbers as Milfredo suggested.
Backfiring problem also cured much to the relief of the elderly citizenry around here.
Thanks again to Ozziedog and co for all the advice,
Whitewater

Attachments

• 4663F093-0FC6-41E4-8E60-636838FCA044.jpeg
    4663F093-0FC6-41E4-8E60-636838FCA044.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 4ECCD308-EA97-4060-A7F8-A5EC7A2D1C26.jpeg
    4ECCD308-EA97-4060-A7F8-A5EC7A2D1C26.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts