Engine details

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busboy1971

Reaction score
Do i need to use sealant when putting on cylinder heads? i believe there is no gasket.
Also can anyone tell me what size exhaust valves and inlet valves go into 1600cc 1971.
This will sound stupid but the which one is the bigger one, i left my haynes in the van which is not here.

Ps do i need Valve guides?

Thanks

Mr Stupid

No gasket or sealant at all on cylinder heads, although some barrels have/use a paper gasket between the barrel and the block. If you are building the engine from scratch it is a good idea to lap the barrels into the cylinder head with some grinding paste (like you would a new valve).

Valve sizes will depend on the head, best to remove the old ones and check. Some sizes are harder to obtain now.

You will need new valve guides typically every 80-100,000 miles - check to see if yours are within the wear limits...

The inlet valve is bigger.

Brilliant, thanks for your help. The heads are from a 74 i believe, i have had one of the heads stripped down so i will have the inlet valves measured before i proceed. valve stem oil seals, are they fitted to inlet and exhaust?

The exhaust valves vary in size too - there are 3 different sizes for 1600 exhaust valves IIRC.

I believe most people don't bother fitting the oil stem seals as they only end up in your engine oil anyway...

I've recently rebuilt my engine and i after reading various threads i never bothered with valve seals, as said they normally crack and end up in the sump

Latest posts