engine getting hot

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokeseys

Reaction score
same old question of engine getting too hot. got the bus moted and serviced yesterday. its been running hot for a while. anyway brought it back yesterday had smoke comming off heater exchanger from an oil leak above and the engine was that hot i couldnt even touch the valance.

Ive just had it running for about 10 minutes standing and the engine stayed reasonably cool apart from the lhs heat riser which was too hot to touch.

the tinware isnt the greatest and there are a few gaps here and there, which maybe adding to the engine getting to hot!!

also before i took it to the garage i had a massive oil leak from the rocker cover. by the time i got to the garage it was pissing out like water but the dipstick suggested it was over filled. checked oil earlier and although on a bit of a slant the oil read above the second line. the bus is starting to get me down a bit now as i Cant take it out as im worried its going to blow.

any help cheers

oil above the second line is way too full. drain it down and use it. if your blowing seals then too much liquid and too much pressure by the sounds of things. also if I remember my john muir textbook then if too full the oil foams and is usless

Also have a sniff of your dipstick and see if it smells of petrol. If it's leaking loads of oil but the level is getting higher then you probably have petrol in your sump possibly from a perforated fuel pump diaphragm or carb' needle valve issues.

The heat riser will get hot and so will the valance. You need to plug the holes in the tinware and don't overfill the oil as a starting point.

When it's cold get your hand round the back of fan shroud, see if anything had been sucked in fan impeller. Small mirror and a torch might help. Mine looked as if it had sucked in a dead rat but it was brown fibres from the heat insulation boards :!:

trebor said:
When it's cold get your hand round the back of fan shroud, see if anything had been sucked in fan impeller. Small mirror and a torch might help. Mine looked as if it had sucked in a dead rat but it was brown fibres from the heat insulation boards :!:

This is good advice as its a surprisingly common problem, also check that the fan housing flaps are open / opening (depending on if theyre still there and the thermostat is connected) and that the ignition timing is right.

And sort the tinwear out, gaps are bad!

cheers everyone. checked dip stick and its does smell a bit of petrol. gonna replace fuel pump because the gasket felt a bit wet and smelt of petrol. i have also read that the carb can cause a problem. i have just moved house and the bus is on a bit of a slant which i read can cause fuel to be forced down ( Dont know how true) !! but its a coincidence because i Didnt have this problem before.
gonna check for anything behind the fan yet

Latest posts