Engine mount rubbers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simshaz

Reaction score
Question
I am in the process of renovating a 71 crossover and when I got the Bay it had no engine or support bar. It has taken months to find the correct bar and end plates and when I got them the rubber bushings were shot. I bought new that matched from Schofields and when trying to refit their new rubbers today one side fits fine and the other is out on the bolt holes. Is this due to the fact that the originals wer drilled into place and manufacturing has standardised the hole sizes on the rubbers and if so do I need to get the file out to let the hole out slightly
image_7.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

All comments appreciated

Your photos don't appear to show 1971 model year engine mounts.
A 71 has the moustache type engine support bar.
The mounts look like this https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211199231A/engine-mount-rear-8-67-8-71/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bus was registered in 71 in Arizona and up until it was imported it was a microbus
It has the low front indicators and the later taller rears
Engine and support bar had been removed when we bought the rolling shell
I have a 1600 tp to go in and the markings on the chassis were in a triangle shape so that was the bar and ends I sourced.
I bow to your information as we are still new to this
Below is the bus on coming back to the house and below that the support bar ends
image_8.jpeg

image_9.jpeg

I have since solved the issue with the rubbers as the supplier had taken delivery of a batch that we're all sizes, they have since sent the correct replacement out to me and removed the rest of the odd stock

Simshaz said:
Bus was registered in 71 in Arizona and up until it was imported it was a microbus
It has the low front indicators and the later taller rears

Glad to hear you have solved your problem :)

Your bus is a 1972 model year (built between Aug 71 and July 72)

Latest posts