Engine squeak on start up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy

Reaction score
Hi

Just has the engine out today to fit a new clutch release bearing, all went well engine back in no problems.

When to start the engine and its making a squeaking noise on start up, noise goes when running.

Thought it might be down to the starter motor so took that off striped check, all checks out ok.

I think it may be a gas leak around the head to the barrel, but whats got me is there was no problem before I took the engine out.

Has anyone had this problem, or know what it might be, or what to test?

I could do with finding out pronto as Im due to go over to france in the next two weeks.

Any advice appreciated.

Ian

Right done some more checks this morning.

Took belt off spun fan by hand in case it was catching, no problems there.
Started with belt off noise still there.
Checked torque on head studs all ok.

Finl thing did a bump start on a hill no noise when starting this way.

So it is the starter motor.

Anyone know what the cause is, had the starter apart yesterday all looks fine, only thing I couldnt get off was the solenoid.

The sound is a WHOOP WHOOP when turning the engine over?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Trikky

What I dont get though is there was no problem till I took the engine out and put it back in, I greased the bush before I put the engine back in, the bush didn't look worn.

The only thing that happened was I accidentally bridged on of the terminals on the starter when I was undoing the heater cable, stupid me forgot to take the earth strap off the battery.

The start is working ok apart from this noise, I just dont want to get half way round france and end up with a goosed starter.

Ok final found the cause, its a leak between the head and barrel on number 3 cylinder, took each plug out in turn and started engine, sound went when number 3 plug out so can only think its the seal between the head and barrel.

Bloody thing, had no problem before engine came out, I hope a good long run and getting the engine hot will bed every thing back down, I dont want to have to drop the engine again 2 weeks before going to france, to seat the head to the barrels.
I guess I could check all the head bolt torques but that means engine out and manifold off to get to the top studs. :evil:

"its making a squeaking noise on start up, noise goes when running."

Sounds like a loose flywheel to me...

But if it is, it should not go away like it did.

Hi Doggy

Defiantly gas squeak from number 3, if engine catches before number 3 is on a compression stroke no noise, and no noise when running?

Had the rockers off and did a quick check on the valves to see if there was much side to side play, and there was nothing very noticeable, also no sign of gas or oil getting past the valve guides, also checked all push rods to see if any were blocked again all are ok.

When I had the engine out about 6 months ago I checked the torque on all the head bolts, all were ok, and I had no problem till I took the engine out and refitted, so Im a bit confused why this has started happening.

I just hope getting the engine up to running temp for a couple of hours will settle every thing back down.

Hmm - cant see why the head to barrel join would start leaking after you removed and refitted the engine. If it really is leaking then running it will not cure the problem.

Are you sure its really that? If it were leaking then a compression test would surely show it up.

Noises can be hard to diagnose but via internet, without hearing them its a bit hit and miss TBH.

Does it squeak when the engine runs or only when the starter motor is engaged? If it were a leaking joint it would go on squeaking but if its the starter it would stop as soon as you released the ign key.

Try turning on the starter with the coil disconnected if you need to hear the noise for longer to diagnose it.

Hi Tricky

I done the starter test bridged the terminals, starter ran fine no noise.

The only reason Im sure its a head to barrel seal is, I took the plugs out one at a time and started the engine, when I took number 3 plug out and started up no noise, due to no pressure in that cylinder, and its that really distinctive squeak you get when a head seal is leaking.

Ive also checked the torque on the stud I can get to with the engine in all checked out ok, checked for blocked push rods as well, again all ok.

Can think it can be any thing else, got me stumped too. I think I must have knocked one of the heat exchangers enough to cause this but I do take really care when getting engine in and out so wouldnt have been more that a bit of a tap.

Guess I will have to drop engine and check all the head bolt torques, just a bitch because I did this 6 months ago, means taking manifold and tin off to get to top studs.

Well I would say that if the joint is leaking, its a coincidence, since I cant see how your work could have caused this.

I would do a compression test, just to make sure, before going to the trouble of removing the engine again.

Ok got a friend to do a compression test for me, all cylinders around 110psi, so looks like that's ok. :D
Bumped van again to check for sure if its the starter motor, and it looks like it is. :(

What a ball ache, but glad its not a cylinder head issue.

Latest posts