Engine upgrades

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys recommend, thinking about upgrading my 1.6 twinport, i am currently considering a 1641 from rem ssp fitted with scat c25 mild sports cam, not sure on carb or exhaust at the moment. i am after something that is a bit happier on long runs (cruising nearer to the speed limit) and maybe a bit better on fuel, or would it be worth getting the current motor rebuilt, do not know any history and has a few oil leaks at the moment, i could probebly swap engines myself ( with help and guidance) but would be totally out of my depth stripping motor down!!!whilst motor out also thinking about dumping the dynamo and fitting alternator.
If i go recon route any companys to avoid or any that are GREAT!!
All advice gratfully recieved

Dave

Hi Dave

I guess it depends on your budget, but I think most would recommend a 1776 with twin carbs.

If your thinking of 1641 you may be better off sticking to a 1600 and spending the money on the heads and carbs.

I had a 1641 with twin 34ICT's which was a good reliable engine but lacked power when the van was full and going up hills. I'm currently building a 1955cc stroker engine with 40 carbs for hopefully loads of torque.

Budget will dictate where you go.

Matt

Matt_B said:
Hi Dave

I guess it depends on your budget, but I think most would recommend a 1776 with twin carbs.

If your thinking of 1641 you may be better off sticking to a 1600 and spending the money on the heads and carbs.

I had a 1641 with twin 34ICT's which was a good reliable engine but lacked power when the van was full and going up hills. I'm currently building a 1955cc stroker engine with 40 carbs for hopefully loads of torque.

Budget will dictate where you go.

Matt

I would rather spend money on twin carburettors, uprating ignition and a decent exhaust system for a 1600 than going 1641. Will cost about same but will be less work and properly better results tbh, for the amount of work involved it wouldn't be worth doing unless you go 1776 or bigger imo.

Karl

Dave, either save up your money and get a 1776 built, or I can put you on to an excellent mate of mine in Stowmarket who can build you a very nice 1641.

Latest posts