Entertaining fuel gauge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Another question! When I picked up the bus it was showing empty on the fuel gauge.... Stopped at next garage and stuck £30 in and it rose to just under half full. 5 miles later I stopped and turned ignition off for a bit, when I restarted its now showing empty again?!

Is there a check list to work through to identify the problem? Or does anyone have trips for driving without a working gauge?[WINKING FACE]

Cheers
Craig

Check the connector on the back of the gauge, look for shorts. If the sender is buggered (likely after all the time) then replacement without cutting the body work means engine out ( worthwhile doing anyway the check head torque and clean the barrels for better cooling if it has not been done in a long time... Then you can change the clutch, paint the engine bay and a million other jobs for the winter... Or just fill up every 250 miles.... Welcome to the joys of early bay ownership. You will love it. :)

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Mines the same, sometimes when driving it moves around more than the rev counter!
I've just bought a replacement fuel sender , I'm getting the engine and box out of the bus this winter (again!) so thought I'd might aswell replace that whilst I'm there, if it still plays up then il concentrate on the gauge end of things. Hopefully it's just the sender though. (Although knowing earlybays it's probably not!) :lol:
If you not planning on getting the engine out anytime soon then concentrate on cleaning up the connections etc on the gauge, if this does nothing then I think you can guess what you've got to do. :msn4: good luck.

The needle on my fuel gauge sometimes jumps up if I tap it, deffo going to need to look at it at some point, hope its just a dodgy connection

It will probably be a bad earth.

I would check all the connections first, then if they are all good, it can only be one of two things, bad sender or bad gauge.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211957063/fuel-gauge-t2-68-73-grey-repro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/113919049DV/fuel-gauge-sender-unit-t1-68-79-vdo-best-quality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine was jumping all over the place and then eventually stopped working completely. Checked connections and the gauge, no issues, so had to be the sender. Got the engine and tank out and the sender had disintegrated, replaced sender and all seems good now.

check connection on the back of you gauge pod in the dash mine was doing exactly the same, turns out the spade connetor tab was loose the plastic round it holding it in place was perished used some araldite/epoxy glue to fix it still going strong after 5 years.

Latest posts