Err.....?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Camper

Reaction score
My lad is going to see a camper engine for his bug this weekend in Birmingham.....I rashly said I would go and collect it with him if it's OK. Would you know if a) two poeple can lift one without a hoist? and b) would it go in the back of an elderly Passat Estate weightwise? :?

Yes it's easy enough to lift an engine with two people, it's best to lift it by the barrels/heads each side, don't grab the pushrod tubes though.

A passat estate should take it easily, i've picked up an 1800 type IV engine in a fiesta before mind you that was a tight fit. :lol:

Phew...that's a relief then.....I was imagining me, him and the seller struggling to lift it in the back, and then having to drive round with my exhaust scraping the ground for 2 weeks until he collects it when he gets his garage!

Thanks for the quick reply. :D

No probs, they're not very heavy, i can lift a type one engine (1600) on my own, same with the gear box.
Type IV engine (1700/1800/2L) is another story though as they're a fair bit heavier, it's to do with them being all ally instead of magnesium alloy.

Bin jamming said:
No probs, they're not very heavy, i can lift a type one engine (1600) on my own, same with the gear box.
Type IV engine (1700/1800/2L) is another story though as they're a fair bit heavier, it's to do with them being all ally instead of magnesium alloy.

Wow you must be all muscles !!

I can lift a gearbox on my own to load it into an estate car, say, but a complete engine with dynamo and flywheel and all - no way - I think I would explode with the effort. Managed it with two people though :)

Bin jamming said:

Bloody right!!! I can lift a type 1, almost broke my back when I pulled the Type 4 motor I have residing in the shed off the table to put it on the floor!! :lol: :roll:

Latest posts