Eventful morning!!!!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave M

Reaction score
Not the best run to work in the van this morning. Decided to go work in it so I could pop round to the MOT centre for a re-test ready for Stanford Hall. 500 Yards from work the engine starter knocking/rattling & misfiring. Turn it off & cruise to a stop to see smoke pouring out of the side vents. Open the engine lid to find the drivers side carb on fire :shock: :shock: . Luckily my extinguisher was enough to put it out with only a fried air filter & some melted wiring.

Looks like it will be Stanford Hall in the Golf & a mad dash for the rest of the month to get it fixed for our trip to Devon.

Oh the joy's of owning a classic car.

A very lucky escape. It looks like your quick thinking and having an extinguisher to hand saved the day.

Bloody hell :shock:

Lucky escape - any idea what caused the carb to catch?

It was knocking & missing just before I turned it off so think the carb may have shot a flame back through the air filter which caught fire. I'm guessing by the noise something major has gone inside. With the short time line to get it fixed I may have to look for a replacement engine this week to throw in & re-build the current one over the summer :roll:

Wow! I would change the thread heading to 'Lucky Escape'.... 'Eventful morning' just doesnt seem to quite cut it!
Well done on the quick thinking and swift action!
Hope you get it sorted for your hols dude!

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

creationblue said:
:shock: What carbs were they and how old ect?

Weber 40's, they were on the bus when I bought it 4.5 years ago so unsure of their age.

Work finished for the day, time to go home, assess the damage & begin the strip down. :?

I had a leaky carb this week. I feel I got away lightly now. Getting it fixed at the weekend. You were very lucky u managed to deal with the fire so quickly!

who? said:
Criips that was a close call!

Hope it aint to much of a ball ache to get it sorted.

Where are you planning on going to in Devon?

We're supposed to be going to Woolacombe on the 24th May :?

Had a look after work & it looks like a stuck valve has caused it all, so pulled the engine tonight ready to whip the head off tomorrow night.

RichardAlexander said:
How's it going Dave you getting there

Yes, there's plenty of progress. All burnt wiring has been replaced, my dad has been a star and taken the head to have the valve seat sorted while I was at work and I've made a start on the tedious job of bedding in the valve. Called it a night as it's beer o'clock. Tomorrow morning should see the head back together then I can start re-painting the damaged paintwork in the engine bay before the engine goes back in.

Latest posts