Ever met your hero ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Brightside

Reaction score
Have you ever met your hero ?

Did they disappoint or did they live up to your expectations ?

My 12 year old nearly fell off his chair in a restaurant in Majorca this evening when I pointed out Bradley Wiggins was sat in the corner with his family.

Rather than just wander over, I asked him when he passed our table if we could have a photo when he had finished his meal, yes was the reply.

At the end of his meal, true to his word, he waved over Oliver & his pals for a photo.

He was a true gent & spent time asking the boys about their training & racing.

So he is one hero who has just gone up in my sons estimation.

It was the end of a great day for him as we are here for a weeks training & he did an 85 mile ride in the Majorcan hills with over 9,000 feet of climbing, he's sleeping soundly tonight.

na9epyhe.jpg

Sadly I didn't get a pic but I was at the British Grand Prix a few years back and Dennis Bergkamp came and sat in front of me.
Being a Gooner I almost peed my pants!
He signed my programme for me, which I was over the moon with.

That's ace , wiggo seems like a nice chap who hasn't forgotten his roots :D he stays grounded when others would let it go to their heads ....sir wiggo :D

This however is my daughter Georgia with super mario last year in Ibiza .. He was really nice and polite, me being half Italian I was well happy to have met him , not really a hero but young and daft with the world at his feet if he could just get his head down :lol:
E5537FD8-6594-4F02-957E-298E8246ADD2-28363-00002C879B7E3872.jpg

Chris

Wow, you met one of MY heros! :D

Some years ago I met Andy Gray who'd been a schoolboy hero of mine. He was a c**t :lol:

crede999 said:
That's ace , wiggo seems like a nice chap who hasn't forgotten his roots :D he stays grounded when others would let it go to their heads ....sir wiggo :D

This however is my daughter Georgia with super mario last year in Ibiza .. He was really nice and polite, me being half Italian I was well happy to have met him , not really a hero but young and daft with the world at his feet if he could just get his head down :lol:

Chris

Hey Chris. Hate to be the one to break the news to your daughter but that aint the real Super Mario. This is what he looks like.

super-mario-bros1.jpg

i met mine in 1998 and it was awsome
Matt hoffman. even went riding . :D an awsome dude and still a hero :D

aspro said:
crede999 said:

Chris

Hey Chris. Hate to be the one to break the news to your daughter but that aint the real Super Mario. This is what he looks like.

super-mario-bros1.jpg

:) brilliant!!!!

Loving Bradley Wiggins. Don't Race myself, but have followed road racing from being a kid as my dad has always been a fan.

Btw if anyone was considering camping for the grand depart in Yorkshire next year...... Get it booked . We've just managed but loads were already fully booked

Clem said:

Some years ago I met Andy Gray who'd been a schoolboy hero of mine. He was a c**t :lol:

You a blue Clem? Andy Gray was my hero too as a kid.

Reids cross....Grrrrrrray! :D

Heebee_GB said:
Clem said:

No, I was a Wolves fan. He scored the winning goal in the 1980(?) League Cup Final against Nottingham Forest as I recall :D

I met Mark Cavendish last year, he was a cool guy 8)

Hmmmm Heroes, I cant abide the notion of heroes being folks that entertain us for cash self gratification, a hero is someone that doesnt seek anything and by fortune or misfortune acts beyond the call....The word hero is a much abused and misused word

now people I admire and respect or just enjoy, I can understand...

Brian Blessed - being the most memorable character I've had the pleasure of spending time with (well pleasure may be a bit over the top), 2 hrs on a train sat opposite the table to the legend and believe me hes just as loud out of character a truely and naturally funny c#@t

Araon said:
Hmmmm Heroes, I cant abide the notion of heroes being folks that entertain us for cash self gratification, a hero is someone that doesnt seek anything and by fortune or misfortune acts beyond the call....The word hero is a much abused and misused word

I totally get your point, but I guess someone like Wiggo is a greyer area ... he set out to acheive personal ambitions and goals, the success, fame and wealth is a result of that ... he's not presenting a Saturday night celebrity cycling competition ;)

But your right, not hero as such.

Clem said:

yea i met him in a pub once......pisshead asshole c++t in my opinion :mrgreen:

Clem said:
Heebee_GB said:
Clem said:

No, I was a Wolves fan. He scored the winning goal in the 1980(?) League Cup Final against Nottingham Forest as I recall :D

I met Mark Cavendish last year, he was a cool guy 8)

I'm a wolves fan too mike ... Bad times at the minute :(

Chris

a number of them over the last few years racing vintage MX, Jeff Smith is at the top of that list, been to dinner with him and have gotten to know him a bit, very funny man with great stories.

I met Ian Rush at the world cup in 94 in San Fransisco. I shouted out pretty loud as i walked about 3 feet away "HOLY FUCK! ITS IAN RUSH", i worshipped the 'tache' as a lad, broke my heart when he left liverpool. Anyway, he was standing near the cannery in fiddlers green pub, none of the Irish bothered him as they were probably all ManU fans anyway. He called me and my mate back and bought a round of drinks. When i told him what we were doing he decided he wanted a city tour so after the russia game we picked him up at the Hyatt.

http://www.sfpedicabs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

total gent.

Derek Underwood was my hero as he'd been to the same school as me. I was at a sports meeting in Sevenoaks a few years ago and we did the introduce ourselves thing. I was speechless as the guy after me introduced himself as none other than good old Deadly! He didn't think much of school so I said nothing about the place.

When I was a lot younger I loved the film 'The Lost Boys'. It is one of my favourite films of all time...and the Missus fave of all time!!

A few years back at a 'CollectorMania' in Milton Keynes we took our dog Nanook, we were walking up Midsummer boulevard and bumped into
Corey Haim + Cory Fieldman who were there for a lostboys convention. Corey Haim went out of his way to come over to stroke my dog and chat about the
Malamute they used in the film and how they had to change stunt dogs as the first one tried to rip his face off!! Fieldman (The Goonies) Was an obnoxious prick.
A few years later Corey Haim died, he was only 30 something. Not my hero but I think alot of guys my age envied him back then.
Fame and fortune in his teens....mashed him up!!
Shame... ("Burn rubber, duznt mean warp speed!!") L.B. 8)

Latest posts