Everyone's collective brain power needed!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex573

Reaction score
Hi guys. Me again. Same old issue...

My issue is the engine (as always!). As I have posted before when driving the van will seem sluggish and now at any speed loose power, judder and sometimes cut out, sometimes I can pull over and the engine will idle and I can continue. However tonight it cut out and was 40 minutes before it would start again. When I tried to start it it turned over but would not kick in. With the accelerator down I wasn't getting any revs.

After waiting I then got intermittent and erratic revs. I managed to nurse the van home but it was seeming to struggle pulling.

After advice these are the things I've tried:
- unscrewing the fuel cap to check for a vacuum (there wasn't).
- I've changed the internal stand pipe and gauze, inline filter and fuel lines.

The issue is it can be totally fine start perfectly and then a mile down the road it happens. All I can't think is:
- the engine getting too hot, even though it can be sluggish and stall from cold (then as it cools will start again..?).
- the coil is shot / over heating.
- there is an issue with the leads, plugs or dizzy?
- there is still a fuel issue somewhere?

It's so tricky I think because it's an intermittent issue. We are supposed to be heading to Cornwall next week. At the moment we have no chance.

Thanks as always,
Alex

What's the spec of the engine?

Could be a couple of things - although no revs and poor hot running sounds electrical to me
I would try a known good coil first and see how you get on

WHS^
Does sound like an electrical fault. Could be the coil breaking down when it gets hot, or the condensor. Check the easy/cheap stuff first:)

The engine is a remtec. I believe it is a 1641. It is supposed to be a recon engine about 5 years ago according to the guy I bought it from last summer.

I'm just looking at the blue bosh coil JK sell and am considering new leads and plugs...

Cheers.
Alex

Are you still running points - check the gap is correct - had similar issues when the gap closed up when hot.

sparkywig said:
Check the fuel pump and pushrod.

This is a nice easy one to check and will cost nuffink to check it. Pop the petrol pipe off from the carb or carbs so you have your petrol pump with a length of pipe hanging off it. Insert the pipe into a one and a half or two litre empty water bottle about an inch or so held sideways and get someone else to turn it over. The petrol from the pipe should hit the bottom of the bottle while you are turning over, might be worth taking your live off the coil and cover with a little tape so it don`t start, if it does hit the back of the bottle then you have a clean bill of health from the tank through the pump and then you is at the carb, and don`t forget to connect the live back to the coil. If it don`t start conventionally, try a teaspoon of petrol down the carb , if it does start then I`d suspect the needle and seat or the float or possibly shitty jets. You can do all this in twenty minutes or less and you may then get some direction.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Keep posting :mrgreen:

P.S. A fuel pump problem can be a little erratic as well according to how much fuel is in the tank and whether you are on the flat or on a hill. Also when you leave a van to cool down ,, it is possible that some petrol is squeezing past the pump and giving you a head start on the fuel supply.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good luck bud ;)

If you are going away in it change the lot, along with the coil change the points, condensor and rotor arm might as well do the leads and plugs too. Change one at a time then you should find your fault. As it's been said the pump is a free fix so just do it. My money is on the coil or condensor.

Eurocarparts seem to stock ignition parts, I ended up using them last time as these basic item are never in stock at vwheritage when I need them.

Thank you all for these great thoughts! It has an electronic ignition so that eliminates the condenser. The fuel pump and coil still look like possibilities. Ozziedog I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and check the pump!

I am considering radish's suggestion to change both pump and coil... Then if the issue isn't fixed there's not much left!

Is changing the fuel pump an easy job if it does need it?

Thanks so much.

Alex

Ok, new coil ordered. Also got a fuel pump and push rod. Even if it's not them at least I have spares.

I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks for all the advice.

Alex

There is also the possibility that debris in the fuel tank is blocking the outlet. This would explain the hot running (lean due to not enough fuel) and the intermittent nature of the problem as the debris shifts around.

Funny thing...I've been having similar problems since my new engine install.
I think it is a fuel problem in my case. I already changed the fuel pump because i thought that was the solution, but last weekend it happened again. I still believe that either the pump or the fuel itself gets too hot causing it to provide too little fuel to the carb.

For me it only happens after several miles. Sometimes after 100, sometimes after 300 miles. When the engine has cooled down it runs fine again.

I am now thinking of switching to an electrical pump with a return so the fuel is always fresh and cool. I might try another coil as well before doing so.

My bus has developed exactly the same problem over the past month so will watch this thread with interest and will let you know when i get to the bottom of it. Have so far replaced the rotor arm as was looking a bit crappy along with new points and condenser. Re-set point gap and retimed it but it happened again. Got a new coil to fit on Saturday and then will be taking it out for a long drive to test.

Forgot to mention that fuel pump was fine when tested it as above and the fuel filter underneath looks clean as a whistle.

Alex 573, please try the test first with the bottle as it will then give us a clue or two to what`s happening. Don`t swap your fuel pump unless you have to because the modern replacement ones are junk nowadays. Do you get any interference on your radio when this problem is happening if you can remember ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, step by step mate :mrgreen:

Morning chaps. The new parts have just arrived. I'm going to try the bottle first and see how it looks. If that's ok then I'm on to the coil!

I'll let you know!

Alex

Ok chaps. Tested the pump. It's certainly not making it to the end of the bottle!

Next question is, how to replace it? Hi do I stop the fuel once the pipes are disconnected. I've just drained the tank once, there's 3/4 in I don't want to do it again!

Is replacing the pump an easy one?

Thanks
Alex

Latest posts