Everyone's collective brain power needed!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never replaced a fuel pump so cant help there however to stop the fuel going everywhere I just clamped the pipes!
Or if you dont have any suitable clamps fold them over and tie wrap them pinched!

Mine didnt loose a drop of fuel when I replaced all my lines earlier in the year for new R9 rated fuel lines

Thanks stu.

Got it clamped and it's all good. My existing push rod is longer and the new 100mm one I got with the new pump. It's it a case of change both?

Perfect. Changed the fuel pump and push rod. After doing the bottle test!

Whilst I was in there I have changed the coil too, in an attempt to get it sorted to go away this weekend!

Runs lovely on the drive... We just have to wait and see what happens when we go down the road!

Yep, It`s an easy one, just undo the two pipes and keep an eye on which one goes where and might be an idea to label the one to the tank ;) Have a pipe clamp ready to clamp the pipe from the tank in which case you won`t need to label it :mrgreen: If you don`t have a decent pipe clamp, try to resist the urge to use mole grips unless you`ve done it loads of times before, try useing something slightly conical that you can shove in the end of the pipe, something like the size of a biro but obviously not a biro because it has a hole in it, I use a flat ended punch. If you check out where the pipe went on the carb, you`ll get an idea of the size you need. Now while you have the pipe off the pump from the tank, have your bottle ready and make sure you have a decent flow from the tank before you attempt anything else. It is possible that the pump is ok but your fuel supply is blocked further back in the pipe or even the tank itself. It`s pointless changing the pump if there isn`t a decent supply getting to it because even the best pump in the world won`t pump your fuel if it`s not getting a decent supply from the tank. If that`s all ok, try to elevate your blocked fuel pipe out of the way and the higher you can get it, the less chance you have of knocking your bung out and there will be less pressure behind it. If the supply is good then undo the two nuts and washers holding the pump on. Tapp the base of the pump with a nylon hammer or the base of a wooden shafted hammer, just tap tap tap and it should come loose, but don`t go crazy because the piece under the pump that looks like a big thick gasket is not the gasket, it`s the guide for the fuel pump rod and it is quite delicate. When it`s apart, you need to clean the gasket off of the guide and fit a brand new gasket, and fit a new rod to go with your new pump and make sure you get the one to go with an alternator if you have an alternator or a dynamo one if you has a dynamo. Check the flow markings before you fit.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck :mrgreen:

Ozziedog, that's such a clear and detailed explanation, thank you! I hope this thread will help others. The fuel was getting no where near the end if the bottle. It maybe went two inches.

The new pump is on -- it was surprisingly easy! I've added the new coil to be sure. Tomorrow I shall be a long run out, so keep your fingers crossed the problem is solved... If not I have no idea what to do!

Many thanks to all for helping me to this stage!

Alex

If it was the fuel pump and you are sorted now, well lets hope so after your test run tomorrow ``insert fingers crossed smiley`` The weird thing is you may have to buy another as a spare because these repros are so crap, I`m getting through them at about one a year. I`m now thinking about getting a decent Hucco elecky pump but was trying to stay simple, so with the elecky fuel pump I reckon you / and me would maybe need a regulator, and maybe a fuel cut off which could also act as an immobiliser`so maybe a good addition, but I`d prefer to keep it simple but I do like it not to break down :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Keep us posted bud :mrgreen:

Good morning chaps!

Taken the van for a 30mile drive and will be out again later. So far everything seems to be running fine! The issue seems to have been resolved! :D

The engine is running A LOT cooler too. Noticeably so. Would that suggest the coil was the issue?

Either way I'm hoping it's all sorted. THANK YOU all, when I'm surfing next week I'll be sending good karma from the beach.

Alex

I would say its running cooler because it is now getting an adequate supply of fuel and was probably running really lean before!
Great news you have sorted it!

I think you should do the bottle test again just so you have a comparison incase future issues arise - you will know what a healthy fuel pump outputs!

StuF said:
I would say its running cooler because it is now getting an adequate supply of fuel and was probably running really lean before!
Great news you have sorted it!

I think you should do the bottle test again just so you have a comparison incase future issues arise - you will know what a healthy fuel pump outputs!

Now that sounds like a good idea :?: :?: :?: :?:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, And I`m agreeing with Stuf

74 miles today and all seems to be running perfectly!

:D I owe you all a drink!

Alex

Latest posts