F*^#ing piece of s*~#

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here was what I did

Engine running very rich, so

Removed carb changed main jet from 130 to 120. Took opportunity to change fuel lines at same time. Put it back together won't start. Running stock 1600 twin port with 009 dizzy and Solex 30 pict 1 carb bought from Heritage. (It can be used on 1600 twin port)

Checked wiring. Wire running from choke to cut off valve to minus side of coil. Sure it was like that originally although tried it both sides of coil.

2 wires coming from 009 to pos side of coil.

I also, in my capacity as a person who rushes everything and acts without thinking initially unscrewed the idle speed adjusting screw by mistake. Screwed it all the way in and out 2.5 turns. So where should I go next?

Checked I do have fuel getting to carb. Vehicle cranks over but in no way looks like firing.

You've definitely missed something on the dizzy mate. Wiring from the carb needs to be connected to coil +, not negative, but that won't necessary stop it running, just idling.

You appear to have electronic ignition and it's connected wrong- "2 wires coming from 009 to pos side of coil"- that's not right. If they're red and black, red goes to positive, black goes to negative I believe. But it depends on the type of electronic ignition you have, and connecting some types the wrong way around blows up the module, so find out what type you have first (dizzy cap off, have a look)

You also need the main loom power feed going to the positive side of the coil.

You can take everything else off the dizzy for the moment, re-attach it all later when the engine's running.

Ok. All my fault I wired the 009 dizzy up wrong and blew it. Tried my old original dizzy couldn't get it to fire. Never have. Bought a 56% off 009 centrifugal dizzy points and condenser from Gsf fitted it and it kicked straight in. Kept popping and backfiring with 120 jet in so changed back to 130 jet and it works fine. Back to being rich in my opinion. Do you think a rolling road could solve this or put me in the right direction. Timing fine by the way

Out of intrest why have u gone for a 009?
Bavk firing is usually timing
A rolling road with a reputable company should be able to tune it to perfection

Throw out the 009. It never did any good for any road going VW engine.
It's always a compromise at best.

Yes get rid of the 009, also get yourself a Solex 34 pict 3 carb, think a 30 pict 1 is for 1200cc engine, not sure about the carb but i am sure you can find out on this forum

If I am honest I needed a confidence boost got the 009 for £36 on a GSF offer and it was on the way to work. The van is not on my drive and didn't want to out stay my welcome in its present location so needed to move it. I do have the original dizzy that comes with the van and have cleaned it and set the points but it still wouldn't fire. I now have the van back on the drive so I am going to investigate further.

I have to 30 pict 3 in the garage in pieces may need to do a rebuild. Bought the 30 pict 1 from Heritage and was told it can be used on the 1600TP. With the 130 main jet. I decided to step down to 120 to see if it would run leaner and I think it just ran to lean as I had static timed and used the strobe.

More investigation and possibly a rolling road. I could do with a decent veh mechanic who knows air cooled stuff in Swansea. Anyone know of one

Latest posts