filings from running in................

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
just completed the first part of the running in(total of 500mile, 200 done) on replacement engine,recon universal case with new internals and i inspected the wire gause filter after changing the oil and there was afew bits of swarf.
is this common with new pnb's? would you expect this as part of the "bedding in"??
is there something i should be looking out for???

so far the engine is pulling and running fine as far as i can tell,totally stock 16tp.

regards.

sharky.

:sick0019:

I recently changed the oil after running in my engine but did not come across any filings. So not sure if this is ok or not.
It also depends on the size of the filings I guess. There could be some metal in the oil but that's the reason why you change the oil rather quickly after those first couple of miles.

had very small bits in the oil when i changed it at the weekend.
had eased the van upto 45-50 mph when driving probably guessing around 2000 - 2500 revs in each gear then changing up.
van seems to be pulling ok,that said i have yet to open her right up,shall change the oil again in another 150- 200 miles.

toying with the idea to use for our main two weeks off in the summer down to Ashburton,Devon or take the car instead :roll:
nice liesurely drive of 45-50mph pulling the trailer and all the parafinalia :lol: :lol: Kds want to take their bikes aswell :roll: :roll: why do they always want their bikes :|

Your doing all the right things, I wouldn't get to alarmed. Has the case had a machining work? If so have the case plugs been pulled oil ways cleaned out and replaced or tapped and plugged. As an airline can't shift all swarf from previous machining. If the amount doesn't dramatically reduce on next oil change, maybe further investigate, but you would probably experience other symptoms if there was an issue. Ben

shall keep going for next 200 miles and then change oil again and check valve clearances,perhaps increase revs aswell.

cheers for the reply Ben.

:sick0019:

Just found something similar myself. Changing the oil for the first time after about 300 miles. A few small specs of metal in the bottom of the pan. The case was machined I guess as it is a 1786 CC engine.

Did it resolve itself with later oil changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is still a tough one. But there is no getting away from it, that there will be a bit of Metallica in the oil and when it’s your own motor there’s a bit more panic I know. If you have any reservations or concerns, then do an extra intermediate oil change.i would stay away from flushing oils at this stage particularly.

Edit: And maybe a magnetic plug ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,shouldn’t be a panic :mrgreen:

There will be some metal in the oil when an engine is either built with new parts or reconditioned. For that reason the engine builders recommend changing the oil after initial break in on the bench, then after a short few miles and after that normal oil changes as per factory.
When new parts are put together and they rub against each other, a polishing effect will occur leaving some residues of metal. Nothing to worry about, completely normal. I actually like to change the oil at least like three times in the first couple hundred miles, the more you change, the less scoring will happen due to the particles being forced between the parts. Now if you still find metal(sometimes flakes) after the breaking in period or on a used engine, then something is not happy inside and will give soon..😳

Abel🤓

atafonso said:
There will be some metal in the oil when an engine is either built with new parts or reconditioned. For that reason the engine builders recommend changing the oil after initial break in on the bench, then after a short few miles and after that normal oil changes as per factory.
When new parts are put together and they rub against each other, a polishing effect will occur leaving some residues of metal. Nothing to worry about, completely normal. I actually like to change the oil at least like three times in the first couple hundred miles, the more you change, the less scoring will happen due to the particles being forced between the parts. Now if you still find metal(sometimes flakes) after the breaking in period or on a used engine, then something is not happy inside and will give soon..😳

Abel🤓

Hi Abel, I was just wondering: Would you modify the advise above when a full flow filter is installed?

Cheers, Stefan

Hi Stefan

The fullflow will catch most of the particles, only the very fine powder like will pass through, that’s why changing the oil a few times is crucial on the initial period. There’s no way to avoid that; all machined surfaces have microscopic burrs and edges that when working together with other machined parts will create friction and as a result, fillings. The majority of the metal will be from the cam, cam and distributor gears. Also the engine run hotter in that period as it will be tighter.
I normally open the filters after first oil change when finishing running in the bench just to see how much metal is in there so the engine is happy inside😆

Abel🤓

Thanks Abel. Opening the filter is standard in internal combustion aviation engines and does make a lot of sense.

Latest posts