Fitting Distributor vac advance WITH Electronic Ignition...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozerfella

Reaction score
I have the correct distributor for my 1600 and 34 pict carb, the only thing is the distributor has an electric ignition fitted in it....my question is, what else do i need to convert it? as i have two wires coming from the dist and i dont know where they go!!

here is the code - 0231 170 034

The 2 wires coming from the dizzy goto the coil. The red wire to the Positive side and the black wire to the negative side (the same side that the condensor wire went to).
I have just swapped to elecronic ignition and unless something goes drastically wrong i wont be changing back to points and condensor any time soon

Cheers froggy, thats exactly what i have done and i cant even get a spark to it. Do i need more parts with the electronic ignition?

dozerfella said:
I have the correct distributor for my 1600 and 34 pict carb, the only thing is the distributor has an electric ignition fitted in it....my question is, what else do i need to convert it? as i have two wires coming from the dist and i dont know where they go!!

here is the code - 0231 170 034

Do you have something like a Pertonix Electronic Ignition fitted? If so, have you got the right version for the vacuum advance carb/dizzy - there are 2: vacuum advance and non-vacuum advance.

I bought the dizzy new with the electronic ignition already in it, so could possibly have come with the wrong one in it.

dozerfella said:
I bought the dizzy new with the electronic ignition already in it, so could possibly have come with the wrong one in it.

Assuming its pertronix:
I'd be surprised if it was the wrong one as they arent a straight swap - however if the wrong one was fitted properly it should still work ok (its the mounting points that are different not the electronics).
There are two parts to the electronic ignition the base plate with sensor connected to it & a black collar that fits over the dizzy shaft - often this is not fully pushed down and therefore it doesnt work properly.

The main thing I would be worried about is if it has been connected up the wrong way round - that could kill it dead.

dozerfella said:
mmm that could have happened, is there any way of testing it to find out if its dead?
Connect it up the correct way and try to start the engine, if it starts then its ok if not its knackered :lol:
Sorry but cant think of any other way!

Put a dizzy with points in it back on and test if the coil is ok. If coil ok electronic ignition is cooked, this happens if you leave the ignition on without starting the engine apparently.
Is the gap between the magnetic breaker and the switch unit ok, if the gaps too big the magnet inside the plastic piece on the central spindle will not be able to open the switch, gap should be about 0.7 mm but should still work up to about 1mm.

Post photo of the wiring at the coil make sure you have positive an negative connection the right way round, not sure if you connect once the wrong way if it will fry the unit.

noddy said:
Put a dizzy with points in it back on and test if the coil is ok. If coil ok electronic ignition is cooked, this happens if you leave the ignition on without starting the engine apparently.
Is the gap between the magnetic breaker and the switch unit ok, if the gaps too big the magnet inside the plastic piece on the central spindle will not be able to open the switch, gap should be about 0.7 mm but should still work up to about 1mm.

Post photo of the wiring at the coil make sure you have positive an negative connection the right way round, not sure if you connect once the wrong way if it will fry the unit.

Cheers mate, i will post some when i have some to post...though, i think it is cooked.

Latest posts