Fitting rear opening quarter window glass - How??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
I'm having problems fitting my rear quarter glass.

The quarter opener went in fairly well, but I just can't get the rear section to fit. It just looks too large

I'm using C&C deluxe seals

Any suggestions??

They are all ways I bit tight,

After you have strung the window rubber lube up the rubber seal with some diluted washing up liquid
Get some one on the out side of the bus holding the window in place , you have to push the window quite hard in to the aperture and occasionally whack it in the corners
If you do this whilst the person inside the bus pulls the string that you have inserted in to the back of your window rubber the internal lip of the rubber should fold over the metal lip on the window aperture thus seating the window in to place,
The 1/4 up right will be the trickiest bit ,,

Good luck

Ok, so are you suggesting that the large glass goes in first?

If so, how does the quarter light fit in when it has to fit through the slot in the lip & the slot is covered by the main glass & seal?

washing up liquid :shock: dont think you should use that got salt in it,
spray grease would be better,quarter light first then the big one
read this it will be the same and help http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manxfella said:
Ok, so are you suggesting that the large glass goes in first?

If so, how does the quarter light fit in when it has to fit through the slot in the lip & the slot is covered by the main glass & seal?

Yes the large window goes in first. Then the quarter window. Tilt to get the tabs over the window lip and then push hard back against the main window to get the seal engaged. Then use the usual string method to get the rest into place. Eg. back edge first.

Agreed with above, don't use soap for lube. Use waxoil or wd40 or silicone lube.

What about the cut out in the lip? Does the seal on the main window have to be pulled out of the way to fit the frame into the slot? Or do I just ignore that cut out & prize the quarter light into the remaining gap?

The cut out is to make it possible to fit the tabs in behind the window lip. This is what holds the trailing edge of the frame to the body.
The rubber seal of the main window has to overlap onto the quarterlight frame and quarterlight seal tabs.

The front edge of the quarter frame has tabs that are bent down to locate it once the assembly has been pushed fully home.

It's a bit fiddly but quite easy to do.

Aah, I've got you. When I took it apart the tabs were obviously bent down & the quarter light was removed by sliding it to the cut out havering cut the rubbers off.

Makes it clearer when you know the tabs have to be bent!

Thanks.

Ah - I see now why you were confused :lol:

It's always much harder putting stuff together that somebody else has taken apart.

oops, I did it wrong, put 1/4 light in first then 3/4, seemed to go in easy enough though.

marco said:
oops, I did it wrong, put 1/4 light in first then 3/4, seemed to go in easy enough though.

It's not "wrong". It's just easier to do it the other way. :D

Got a question on this. fitting the opening qrtrs, but the rubber doesnt seem to seat properly against the window opening on the outside, but the rubber is pushed hard against the frame when you peel back the outer edge, any ideas?

Have you got the frame located using the metal tags? There is a gap in the window surround that the 1/4 light slots in through, then needs pressure against the 1/4 from the inside before hitting home against the c pillar. If it's not located right, the rubber will stick out proud.

Latest posts