Florida Bay - The Resto!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a really light weight trailer on Ebay last week.....should pull behind the Westy a treat and we can also lock it shut and our gear will be out of the elements too.

Just gotta jazz it up a wee bit...I am thinking an aerial or two!
IMG00202-20110408-1126.jpg

More updates this weekend as I have ordered more stuff from C & C today!

Got busy on Sunday after William had helped me unwrap everything....excuse the Blackberry NOT VERY Smartfone pictures!!! It was all I had with me... :oops: :oops: :oops:
IMG00207-20110414-1401.jpg

IMG00217-20110417-1314.jpg

Got the master cylinder off so I can get the correct replacement but it looks like a weird one??

IMG00223-20110417-1614.jpg

Got the firewall off and the only nasty thing I found was a dead spider....all the joints were new or had been replaced not that long ago so I put the firewall back.

IMG00227-20110417-1910.jpg

Then I removed the sliding door and fitted the new seal...C&C German quality stuff and it fitted a treat. I also put the Jalousie window back in the door. With the help of the old man and a lot of expletives, the rear side window went in, C&C German quality window seals too...

Bank holiday weekend coming up...brake lines to do and engine to fit next......

snow_pikey said:
Serious amount of work nice bus and I dig the wheel trims are you keeping them?

Thanks S P ! Yeah gotta keep the hub caps...they came off a an old Plymouth so I am told :msn4: ,,,,,I am going for the 'Survivor' look..... :D :D

Been having fun the last two weeks!

Got a friend sorting the rotten wood on the Westy roof ready for the bus to be free'd from the lockup.

Bought two sheets of 4mm Birch ply in readiness for the new headlining to be templated.

Patched up the US indicator lamp holders and fitted them to Euro spec reflectors.

Got the engine in and running, bit of new fuel in the carb and jump leads hooked up, away she went!

Genny light stayed on now matter what I did and the flywheel seal was letting go too. So brushed up on the reasons why, checked connection, volt checked every thing, tried polarizing the genny but still very low output!
So today I had the afternoon off and dropped the engine out. Changed the dyno for another we had knocking around the workshop and now need to order a new seal kit before I can refit and see if we have power.

Good news is that I now have brakes too. Big thanks to my father in law and. bro in law for that job which was a faff, new master cylinder fitted but the feed pipe from the first reservoir leaked like a sieve! But was sorted by turning the pipe
around so top was now bottom!

More updates and photo's once the seals are fitted!

OK!

Update time...

Westy roof is back and looks awesome...no pics yet as the batteries are flat in the camera....soon though as the batteries are on charge... :)

Flywheel seal arrived in the post and so yesterday I fitted the engine back in and fired her up....yippee :D :D :D genny light went out after a couple of milli seconds. Job ticked off the list. No I can start to properly access the wiring.
I know that I am gonna have to replace something to do with the windshield wipers and my side lights are playing up too.
May2011005.jpg

Also, took the westy cupboard to another mate in the chippy trade who is gonna do a resto job on the water damaged wood. The bottom has gone and parts of the side panel have damage too. To be honest the whole thing has weak joints and needs tlc...
21092008016.jpg

So today between my paperwork I am gonna put the finishing touches to the roof rack section and take a photo of the repaired roof...

Honeymoon105.jpg

Camera now charged so;

Few pics of the new roof wood work. It's not ply like the original but I am promised it will be more durable. Just gotta prep it for paint now.

Busroof003.jpg

Busroof002.jpg

Busroof001.jpg

Busroof004.jpg

Finished the roof off with a bungy net that has been hanging around waiting patiently...just the right number of hooks to fit the westy rack so that's a result in itself.

Just looked at the photo of the engine again and really must sort the fuel line out so it doesn't touch the inlet manifold - should it be copper in the engine bay? I will have to find out!

Happy days 8)

Great job on the roof repairs dude :D

Sure there ain't no copper in the engine....... can't remember now ;)

Great pics of the updates, i'm sorting out my luggage rack at the moment (cleaning up the bars to be painted).

Fuel line was usually a steel pipe, but i'm using some copper pipe works alright!

cyberdyne systems said:
Great pics of the updates, i'm sorting out my luggage rack at the moment (cleaning up the bars to be painted).

Fuel line was usually a steel pipe, but i'm using some copper pipe works alright!

I painted my bars with Hammerite after a good rubbing down of course, they aren't perfect but then nothing else on the bus is!!

I was thinking of using some left over brake pipe, looks to be the same internal diameter?

Big day today!!!

Out she comes for the first time in nearly three years>>>woop woop!

Promise to get better photo's again next time, only every seem to have the blackberry with me and its crappy to say the least.
IMG00321-20110801-1435.jpg

IMG00319-20110801-1434.jpg

Once out I took her for my maiden voyage up the farm lane slowly to see if I could brake ok and find all four gears etc. It is still a bit wooly on the gear select so I may be investing in some resto parts for the linkage soon.
IMG00327-20110801-1455.jpg

Then had to get the roof temporarily fixed so she is water tight. She is going to be covered in the barn so not too much of an issue at this stage.

IMG00330-20110801-1643.jpg

Gonna iron out the problems over the next two weeks and then get her MOT booked in>>>>!!!!

Latest posts