Flushing a fuel tank

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Cooled Rookie

Reaction score
Hi,

What is the best way of flushing crud from a fuel tank without removing it?

The van in question was sat in a garage between 1985 to 2009 and is now it's back on the road it's choking up a fuel filter every forty miles or so. It's a crossover with a type 4 engine, so I really don't want to have to remove the tank unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks

I dont think you can really do a proper flush without taking it out bud.

However it is possible to get it out without completely removing the engine. If you jack up the back of the van, remove the oil filler neck, disconnect all the wires and cables in the engine bay, put a jack under the engine, undo the rear engine hanger bolts, then undo the 2 bolts above the bellhousing that hold the gearbox up, then slowly lower the jack so that the engine and box tilt down enough to get the tank out. you may find it easier to remove the carbs so that the engine doesnt need to be lowered so far.

Its a bit of a killer on your back leaning over the engine to drag the tank out admittedly but it does work ;)

If its been sitting that long you will need to drop the engine to get at the rotten old fuel pipes behind the firewall anyway dude.
The one from the filler neck WILL be perished and all the joints for the breather are also going to be knackered, no point risking your life over something so simple.
With a type 4 its actually easier than with an upright as they are much flatter.
Easy way....

1. Disconnect Battery
2.Take of wiring from coil, heating fan and regulator
3.Take off hoses from Heater fan
4. Remove accelerator cable and air filter
5. Undo the 2 top engine bolts while you are in there
6. Separate heat risers from the exchangers
7. Clamp and remove fuel hose and while underneath pull through accelerator cable
8. Disconnect servo pipe
9. Undo bottom 2 engine bolts
10. Remove the front 3 pieces of cooling tin under pulley
11. Position trolley jack under engine with a piece of nice wide thick wood so as not to damage the case
12. Pull !!

Simple stuff

Latest posts