Flywheel bolt vs impact gun

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calibay

Reaction score
So I've been deciding the best way to tighten up the flywheel bolt without having to buy a massive new torque wrench. I've seen that the RAC do a impact gun that peeks at 350nm for £35

Has anyone tried something like this and would it be suitable for the job?

calibay said:
So I've been deciding the best way to tighten up the flywheel bolt without having to buy a massive new torque wrench. I've seen that the RAC do a impact gun that peeks at 350nm for £35

Has anyone tried something like this and would it be suitable for the job?
Better to rent a suitable torque wrench I would have thought.

Where are you mate also you could all ways use a torque multiplier I think gsf sell them really handy for other stuff too

As others have said this is a job that is worth doing right, if the flywheel comes loose it could damage not only the flywheel but the crank, case which intern kinds of messes up the entire engine.

I got an absolute bargain on eBay a month ago brand new mac torque wrench upto 750 ftlb £30!!! So I'd look there

It is possible to over tighten and cause all sorts of problems including stripping or actually breaking things. Measuring and using a weight is extremely accurate and more accurate than a cheapo torque wrench. If you want to tighten to 250 lbs per foot then you use a 250 pound weight exactly one foot from the centre of the nut. You can use mathematics to divide the 250ibs for example by five to use a 50lb weight but you would need to have a five foot long spanner. Or a 25lb weight with a ten foot long spanner. If you use several extensions to achieve the length of the spanner like bars and scaffold tubes etc etc, don`t forget to calculate their weight as well. You can usually work it out with a calculater to use your body weight at a certain part of the spanner.
Don`t ever ever forget,,,,,,,, You may need loads of leverage to get things undone, but it`s no where near as much to get it torqued up properly. :shock: ;) :shock:
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That`s easy innit :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Latest posts