Folding Bikes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanleyboy

Reaction score
Hi Folks

We have been thinking about buying a couple of folding bikes to take away in the bus as we don't want to have our bigger bikes strapped and hanging off the back door. We only want the bikes for short journeys, pub shops etc from campsites or maybe on cycle paths.

Have been trawling the web and the prices vary too say the least, our budget is limited and therefore we are looking at £200 mark.

Has anyone seen or used the "Urban Lite 2" bike, its sold on Amazon and also http://www.buybuybicycles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it has 20" wheels and also a light weight of 10.5Kg.

Looks small enough to pack away inside the van.

We also liked the electric folding bikes but a bit too pricy.

Andy

Don't know if this is any good but i received this in an email yesterday?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/saxon-fold-up-folding-bike-p181194/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=29_04_13-Week-Only-Deals%20%281%29&utm_content=&spMailingID=6059291&spUserID=MTE0ODk2MjY2MDUS1&spJobID=72426735&spReportId=NzI0MjY3MzUS1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How big are you Andy? I used a folding bike, it was a land rover one (i think made by brompton) it was £399 and was flimsy as hell, every time you pedaled the handle bars swayed all over the place...

But I am 6'2" and 18 stone gym junky so might be alright if you are of a smaller build.

J.

LOL me a gym junkie :lol: 5 11 in socks and 14st so not the lightest. Had a look at the bikes on sale from Go outdoors and whilst a good price seem heavy, I am trying to keep the overall weight in the van as low as possible, maybe the answer is for me to lose weight :oops:

I went shopping for a folding bike last year, started from the same position - cheap and cheerful will do. But after checking out several I ended up buying a Brompton. Bloody expensive, but the only one that seemed solid enough on the road to not leave me feeling seriously at risk! The way I figure, it'll last a lifetime, and if I decide I don't need it anymore their resale value is strong.

I prefer a lazy man's life:

http://classicmopedspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P1060951%20(640x480)-500x500.jpg

We use a couple of the Apollo folding bike from Halfords, cheap n cheerful don't really worry about them being nicked etc, good for about 10 mile rides, after that I get bottom ache lol didn't think they'd last long....had them for about 5 years now...all alloy construction etc.

As a pub bike, I don't think it matters whether it's any good or not really - A few miles can be done on anything, I'd say

Any more than that, and I'd say that cheap bikes are a false economy. The experience is crap, because the frame and components are crap, which is more likely to lead to it never being used. I dont think this is what you're suggesting, but I've seen loads of people 'invest', ride it a few times and then chuck it the back of the shed.

I'm not sure that's quite come ou how I meant it, but hopefully you get the gist.

Marriedblonde said:
How big are you Andy? I used a folding bike, it was a land rover one (i think made by brompton) it was £399 and was flimsy as hell, every time you pedaled the handle bars swayed all over the place...

But I am 6'2" and 18 stone gym junky so might be alright if you are of a smaller build.

J.
Bloody Hell James :shock: you'll be just the job next to me second row lock forward :lol: all my old mates who were that size are sadly passed away or their legs have gone. :(
As for these folding bikes don't think they'll be much cop for me doing a 100 miles a week need a rigid frame & 700c rims.
Those Bromptons do seem to be very nice though so can see the attraction, the bottom bracket wouldn't last 5 mins with my style of ride & the rear axles(spindles) I'll get through for a past time. :(

Latest posts