front beam adjustment

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisasbloke

Reaction score
hello i have a lowered front beam by bluebird customs as it is has been lowered by the previous owner i want to raise it back to the correct height as the tyre is catching on the top of the cab floor when i go over speed bumps as it has been lowered the bumpstop irons have been removed. if i turn the adjuster to the to will not haing the bump stops on the front matter or should i get another front beam im so confused

Pix may help.
Have just the rubbers been removed or has someone been at it with a grinder and cut the bumpstop arms off?

I've just been trying to raise mine. What fun :)

You'll need to get the front off the ground and stable on axle stands, with the front wheels off - I also put the wheels under there just in case it fell.

I then adjusted each torsion bar separately - in my case the adjusters were well stuck. Just undo the nut little, and in theory it should move round - in practce, I squirted WD40 in through the adjuster slot to try and get some movement. I called Mr Rackham (from on this site) and we both jumped up and down the hubs - still nothing. Eventually, I got the top one round using a G-clamp round the adjuster and the bottom beam - but couldn't go too far as the bolt caught on the gear linkage.

The bottom one was pursuaded round with some gentle tapping (!) with a lump hammer. Apparently, you need to take care not to bend the adusters though.

Mines still a tad low, and I'm just living with it a bit to see if I should fit some coilover shocks...

Good luck, and take care!

Nick

Ooh, and I meant to say - I have no bumpstop irons either - seems not to be much of a problem....

Re: Bumpstops
I'm looking at getting a beam from Creative Engineering & noticed that their beam pics do not show any bumps stops or arms.
I asked them about this & was told that you don't need bump stops.
VW put them there in the first place why might one not need them now?

Phil.

I have fitted a Creative Engineering Weedeater beam recently (std width). I wanted to lower the van a bit (old beam was rotten -MOT failure - hence new beam) so I set adjusters half way and it lowered the van A LOT! To be honest the ride quality is awful (using std shocks) - looks good tho! Later on when funds allow I will buy some of their shocks that are the right length - but I need to lower back first to get van sitting right before I order shocks.

This weekend I plane to raise it - hopefully being new shouldnt be a prob. They told me to raise van up on axle stands, slacken nuts and use a screw driver to seperate adjuster toothed plates. The weight of hubs/ wheels etc should help getting the wheels down. They also said to me that the Bump stops - or rather lack of - isnt a prob and that the anti - roll bar isnt needed on a lowered van.

A bit off topic but hopefully a bit of help!

Latest posts