Front suspension

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazzaworld

Reaction score
I know this has been gone over before many times but I'm still confused so here goes again, my bus had little or no front dampening we would feel every pot hole pump etc our fillings would nearly fall every time we went for a drive, the bus had somewhere in its life been fitted with an ajustable beam to lower it slightly but nothing else. I fitted some new standard rear shocks and some adjustable Gaz coilovers, I set these up as follows, bottom spring ring 6cm up from weld and 6 clicks on the damper knob I went for a test drive bus was better but still banging and crashing over holes, so I wound the spring up to 10cm from weld and added 4 more clicks, now it drives superbly the only thing now is the bus is a bit bouncy is this normal or is there some adjustment I should make - I hope all of the above makes sense

Some pics and details of your spec would be useful to see how low you are / what your set up is.

It sounds as though you're bottoming out your standard ball joints. Adding cool overs will help, but all you can do is to set them fairly stiff so that the limited travel that you have isn't 'used' so quickly. It is a workaround, and won't give the comfiest ride, but it should be better.

Ideally, assuming I've got the above correct, you'd be looking at fitting a set of dropped spindles to eliminate your problems.

Hi there, are you sure you mean dampening, or do you mean springing ? These busses were quite bouncy as stock and got less bouncy as we filled them up with pop tops and beds and cupboards etc etc etc. They got especially less bouncy as we lowered them and reduced how much travel the suspension had. The springs are your suspension and what makes you bounce up and down as you go along, the shocks (real name,,,in UK,, road spring dampers :roll: ) will stop your bus bouncing around continuously like a jack in a box. I`d suggest that you try having a ride in a stock one and maybe a few other versions as it may be that you are just used to very limited suspension .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And maybe not!!! :lol:

ozziedog said:
Hi there, are you sure you mean dampening, or do you mean springing ? These busses were quite bouncy as stock and got less bouncy as we filled them up with pop tops and beds and cupboards etc etc etc. They got especially less bouncy as we lowered them and reduced how much travel the suspension had. The springs are your suspension and what makes you bounce up and down as you go along, the shocks (real name,,,in UK,, road spring dampers :roll: ) will stop your bus bouncing around continuously like a jack in a box. I`d suggest that you try having a ride in a stock one and maybe a few other versions as it may be that you are just used to very limited suspension .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And maybe not!!! :lol:
Thank you, I think you are correct when you say " we are used to having limited suspension" the whole family agree that our bus is smoother and somewhat quieter now

Latest posts