Front wheel cylinders

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubBGood2Me

Reaction score
Got a slightly leaky front left wheel cylinder. Planning to swap it out over the winter.

Which are the best ones to buy?

Cheers, yeah saw that but was wondering if the fronts were different or more important to have better quality ones, saying that the brake bias is towards the front

I put some of the after market ones on my front last year and they've been fine so far. Think I got them from heritage from memory.

ATE only IMO and sadly yes you have o do all four

I bought some cheap repo ones from GSF (Brax I think the make was) and one of them literally lasted 5 miles before severely leaking brake fluid which is obviously flipping dangerous and not only means you have minimal brakes but it also when applying the brakes it pulls you across the road to the working side.. not only did I have to replace the wheels cylinders but also the shoes as they where now covered in brake fluid.

I complained to GSF and they refunded all of the wheel cylinders and the brake shoes but had no interest in pulling an exceptionally dangerous product :shock:

You can cheap out on few repo bits on these vans but not brake components, bearings and fuel pipes.

I was fed up adjusting the bloody shoes all the time so when I added up the cost of four decent cylinders and shoes etc I viewed it as £250 towards a disc kit and it was well worth it!

DubBGood2Me said:
Did you replace all 4??

Is it possible to replace just one or does it make sense for both on each side ?

I replaced all of them on the garages advice as they were all knackered. Personal choice I suppose but to be fair the ones from heritage have been fine for me.

There was a thread on here about it the other day if you look it up it gives some good advice on after market versus original.

False economy Lee. The inside of the cylinder bores wear as well as rubbers. Fit a full set of cylinders ie both sides and be safe.
Robert

Latest posts