FS Alistair's 1970 Westy SO70 Campmobile - San Lorenzo, Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myvanway said:
I like the darker front badge with the white... works well. 8)

Hi!

Thanks, I thought so too! It'll be nice when the side step is back on, thinking about replacing the grip tape on the top, it's a little stained, and it's that rough on the surface, it's tricky to scrub clean!

I'll mooch on eBay and see..... I'll fit the Celotex and.Firetec when I feel better :-(

Cheers

Alistair

Hi,

OK, felt better, didn't get around to fitting the fire extinguisher or celotex, so finished off the sidestep, and put it back on...

I decided to replace the top surface again, as i still had some longboard grip tape, and enough for one more go too, flash a little bright, tape is a little darker

Found the bolts securing the step were a little striped on the thread inside the step end piece, but on closer inspection it seemed that they were only biting on the first few threads, some longer stainless bolts from the stash, and then nipped up tight.

I fitted a new sliding door seal, and it's a bit of a bugger to close, and it does have a habit of just popping out a little off the final click sometimes when driving along. When i got my seat belts custom made, I remember requesting a small offcut of webbing, so i could make up a handle to pull in the sliding door to close it, so thought i should really fit it after a few years.....

Quite pleased with it, I really wanted some alloy to made a litle surround, but couldn't find anything, so just used webbing, nice washers and allen head cap stainless bolts. (Note to self, should really paint and polish the inner door window area.....)

Quick 10 min fix for the time being. Might get a bit more done on Sunday, Butty's Bits, Celotex, Firetec.....

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi All,

Been out and about enjoying the bus, local trips to the beach, not ventured far, been seeing 56+W from the solar panel, battery nicely topped up, split charging going well.

Loving my Hayburner mug in metallic gold!

Got around to checking what blew at the MOT test when trying the windscreen washers.....

Pipe split from bottle. Tricky to get too, not really enough pipe, and awkward to refit. Found if cut at a angle, the pipe can be pulled through the screw cap with pointy pliers, though not pressurized it to check yet...

Next job, was the insulate the engine area, and provide a nice base to fit the Firetec cable to fix too. I intent to use some alloy sheet with holes in, or mesh or suchlike to cable tie it.

Celotex cut to shape, fitted and taped, with the rear section cut short to allow the 25mm power cable for the split charge system, along with the other power cables to the leisure battery, just need to finish taping off, ran out of tape

More updates soon.....

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi,

Finished the insulation in the engine bay,

Just need to find a suitable method of attaching the Firetec extinguisher cable, was thinking some alloy mesh, or maybe i'll use some stick on cable ties, though they may come loose with heat....trip to Homebase, B+Q had nothing...

Cheers,

Alistair

Just read this thread from start to finish and you're doing a cracking job there pal, my westy has a very similar reg, only about 40 odd numbers different. Keep up the good work

quicksilver-ash said:
Just read this thread from start to finish and you're doing a cracking job there pal, my westy has a very similar reg, only about 40 odd numbers different. Keep up the good work
Cheers, thanks very much for the kind comments!

Do you have a gallery thread up on yours? If yours is a similar reg, I guess it was registered in Northampton? That's where I did mine, lived there for a few years, now in Devon.

It's not been used much lately, picked up a sofa chair the other week, still waiting for me to do a tip run....

Been using this instead as my daily...

Audi Allroad 2.5 V6 Tdi 6 speed.

7dc7cefe9fc5899c0755c20f6dec4a01.jpg

I've need to look at the split charge system, as I think the control box or relay not working...

Sick of the rain, roll on summer!

Alistair

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Only had mine since November, I bought it from Northampton, been in country 5 years now.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

quicksilver-ash said:
Only had mine since November, I bought it from Northampton, been in country 5 years now.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice bus! Mines about 8 years in the UK

I had a quick look at the split charge system earlier. The leisure battery was at 12.9v, for some reason the starter battery was 1.45v. Yes. One point forty-five! Looks like I may have left something on?

Now, I thought my battery charger charges both, as when the charger is connected, the voltage is 13.9 or 14.1v or thereabouts, this normally makes the solenoid switch and link both batteries.

Something gone pear shaped. I'll jump the starter battery from the Audi and see what happens, not holding much hope though. When it stops raining....

Maybe just keep the starter battery on the charger and allow it to switch "normally" though I would have thought it would work the other way ok?

It's odd, as it ran fine the other week....

Always something to faff with eh?

Alistair

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Hi All!

With a very heavy heart, and much sadness, I have decided to put my Westy up for sale. I just don't use it enough, aside from collecting furniture that wont fit in the Audi Allroad - also for sale, I nip out the odd weekend if the weathers good, and I do miss not using it, and the kids love it, it's all they have know all their life.

I need little more space for the family. It had up until recently been my daily, but relegated to 2nd car as my girlfriend is learning to drive, so we needed another car for when she passes her test. I'll be looking for a LWB T5 Caravelle to replace it with, and a cheap runabout for the girlfriend, s I suspect a big powerful estate car may be too much for a 1st driver...

In the past year since the last MOT I have done the grand total of around 700 miles. I have owned it for over 8 years, and you have no doubt watched it evolve over the years on this very thread. I am the first UK owner, after it was shipped over from California.

A quick run down, as I intend to run a proper advert when I can get some better pictures of everything.

1970 Westfalia SO70 Campmobile
Pearle White L87 95% original paint. Respray to rear corners an engine lid.
Factory pop top, good canvas, but zip broken on fly screen
Stock height, unmessed with suspension, replacement beam arm ball joints
1600 TP with new 34 IT Weber carbs, Pertronix ignition system
Bluebird stainless steel exhaust
110aH Leisure battery with T-Max digital split charge system
Propex blown air heating
Waeco CR50 12V Compressor marine fridge hidden in original Westfalia cooler unit
2 burner gas/black glass domino hob with 3kw wok burner mounted in original Westfalia cooler unit
BBQ gas point with pipe run from behind cooler for outside cooking, gas BBQ included. £ way gas manifold and 4.5kg Calor gas bottle under original buddy seat
80W roof mounted, height adjustable solar panel with MPPT digital display regulator
Brand new custom made wool cab carpet, with contrasting edge trim, including kick panels, under seat, walkthrough and front cab.
Cork flooring and side panels, OG mustard Westfalia vinyl, with Westfalia style curtains with custom made leather tie backs
Brand new hammock canvas with custom leather straps
Alloy OG spec side step with non slip top, painted metallic brown with stainless steel fixings, matching OG metal front badge.
Full stainless steel bolt kit )still some left to fit)
Brand new locking fuel cap - original large logo one available
Louvre windows, new mesh flyscreens
OG Westfalia stool, mustard vinyl
OG Westfalia 3/4 rock and roll bed, mustard vinyl
OG Westfalia wardrobe and top locker unit, correct 1970 spec buddy seat.
OG radio blank with Sony iPod tray capable radio hidden in glove box
Had work on brakes, with front drum, both wheel bearings, shoes and all cylinders being replaced.
Front and rear overriders with replacement rubbers on front and edges.
Perfect rear bumper, patina front
New rear lights with LED bulbs
Westy light unit, x3 multi SMD light packs

Bodywork generally in good condition, solid underneath with body colour painted Upol Raptor coating on entire underside, rustproofed in cavitys etc. Some slight bubbling to nearside battery tray, off side has been replaced. Some work in future maybe needed on the dog leg and closing panel, but still solid. Jack points, chassis, sills are all solid and original. Solid undertrays, with inspection hole let in for future inspection, all solid inside and out. Solid front bellypan. All doors, sliding doot, engine lid, rear panel, tailgate are 100% solid, all cavity treated. No filler on the vehicle. Front panel retains it's historical dent, which may be able to be straightened. I had kept this as I wanted to retain some history of the vehicle. The new owner could do things differently.

I have photo history of all of the work every carried out in the 8 years I have owned it, mainly documented in this thread

I also have quite a large collection of new parts and accessories that could go with it, or sell separately, including:

Brand new air suspension, front and rear dampers, compressor, gauge, fittings etc
Brand new Firetec fire extinguisher kit
Brand new brake rear drums, backing plates, fixings
Brand new distributor
Brand new 2 way speakers with crossover
Brand new windsreen seal
Brand new digital battery monitoring displays, LED
Top quality front door seals, sliding door seal, rear window and tailgate seals
Brand new door chrome surround seals
Recon steering box, drop link, steering arm, all painted in black enamel
Some spare interior doors, trim, dashboard, swtches etc
Westfalia replacement roof edging trim, pop top hinge repair kit
Sliding door bushes repair kit
Spare heads, starter motor

And probably a lot more in boxes, as I have collected newer/better/upgrade parts over the years to replace as and when needed.

I am, at this moment looking for offers in the region of £15/16K please if you're interested, I am open to a sensible offer, I wont be offended, can only say no! It has agreed insurance valuation of £18k, but that's from a few years ago now. As mentioned, I am looking for a T5, so would be interested if you have something. It goes without saying that it will have a full 12 months MOT, as I am looking to having this done in the next few days. I can't see any reason why it wont sale through.

I am in Barnstaple, North Devon.

Alistair

r73 said:
That's a keen price! Good luck with the sale!
Cheers
Rob

Thanks Rob, I may have underestimated it's true worth........ :oops:

I'll post a proper For Sale when it comes back from the MOT, with some nice pictures - and we all love pictures don't we! ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
r73 said:
That's a keen price! Good luck with the sale!
Cheers
Rob

Thanks Rob, I may have underestimated it's true worth........ :oops:

I'll post a proper For Sale when it comes back from the MOT, with some nice pictures - and we all love pictures don't we! ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

:msn4: :lol: I sold mine for 13,500 in the end. With the old 1600 fitted and the Berlin interior.
Sold the orig interior for £700, tow bar for £180, awning and sun canopy for £450 so near as damn it £15,000
Glwts :D

Latest posts