FS Alistair's 1970 Westy SO70 Campmobile - San Lorenzo, Cali

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All!

Hope everyone had a good Xmas/Holiday etc.

As usual, Xmas came and went, famiily and kids, did the usual, found a like break in the proceedings to fit my nice new curtains, courtesy of Myvanway, he posted the "curtain build thread" here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45637&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't take long to fit, but the tailgate curtains are a little tight, made getting the alloy rail screws on tricky, but it was dark, and the screws are small.... :roll: But i guess they are like this so they dont sag...

Anyway, you all know what they look like, but just in case you dont, here are my replica Westfalia curtains:

Nice!

Cheers!

Alistair

Kev946 said:
Looking Good Alistair.. :D

Thanks! 8)

Funny enough, I may have found a source for some fabric that looks very very similar in the thread pattern, though at the moment it's in a red based pattern :roll: I'm contacting them to see if they can produce something the same, I have mailed them pictures of OG fabric. I actually have a OG front curtain for the sides and screen, though i think this is for a 71/72 MY as the original early <70 is a 3 part fit, which is why I have the same silentgliss type rails about the cab doors, as shown in Myvanways curtain thread ^^^

Nothing may become of it, but the search is on. You can get it, though the usual dealers charge quite a "scene tax" for exact matching stuff, and to be honest I havent seen any cab curtains since i i bought the last one 2 years back....and you need 3 sets of cab curtains to make up a full set of curtains, I think Clem said it was 3.....

And maybe in the New Year, get around to the rest of the list a few posts up^^^

*EDIT* she can't any fabric, only the red, shame, it was perfect....just the wrong colour.....

Cheers,

Alistair

Kev946 said:
That's a shame. I've found similar material to yours on Etsy.

Yes, that's where Myvanway got it from , i did have a direct link somewhere.... I haven't managed to find the proper pattern, must be available, but the people who do sell it are not gonna tell anybody

Alistair

Nearly broke my neck trying to clean the roof......

Ladder not tall enough, more of a step stool... :roll:

Looks better finished, only halfway there (above) Some lichen seems to be handy on for dear life....it's due for a refurb in the summer time....You can see some of the dead white paint washed off on the black trim at the rear

Maybe the van needs to be much lower... :lol:

Alistair

Hi!

OK, so a little time over the weekend, and I made up some curtain tie backs for the westy looky-likey curtains. Now, reproduction tie backs are like £5+ each, so over £40+ for that, decided I could do something better, and following the same plan as my tie backs i made for the hammock and cupboard door in earlier posts, I purchased some thinner leather strips in a brown colour to contrast with the curtains

I got some measurements and pictures, which were very kindly supplied by Dirty Harry from earlybay.com, and remade them in the same (more or less) size as the OG ones, hole punched, and used some patina'ed press studs to secure. Note the OG curtain material, I have a spare front screen cover... ;)

I think they look pretty cool, and cost me less than a tenner to make the lot inc press studs, and i still have some press studs left, and a small amount of the tan leather, so I'll put that to good use somewhere/sometime

Cheers!

Alistair

They look great and quite period.

Interested to know where you got the leather and studs kit from. I'll be need to make some at some stage in my rebuild

Nice mate, getting started on our baby as soon as the bathrooms finished... Just wondering how you've found the silent coat since fitting? Had it recommended and thought it may be a good combination of sound deadening and insulation.. Cheers Drew

Kev946 said:
They look great and quite period.

Interested to know where you got the leather and studs kit from. I'll be need to make some at some stage in my rebuild

It's horse bridal strap, found on ebay, along with press studs also on ebay, you occasionally find offcuts. I thought patina-ed press studs would look better than tan ones like the OG westy. I was going to buy a whole shed load in and make batches up, as i have a heavy duty tool to make the holes in the leather, and the little tool to fit and press in the metalwork, but i'm too fussy, a couple of mine are slightly incorrect, but you'd be pushed to notice, it does take a little while to make up nicely, anyways, I have told you how much it cost! :lol: :roll: ;) (First rule of business fail right there.....)

Cheers!

Alistair

drew n steph said:
Nice mate, getting started on our baby as soon as the bathrooms finished... Just wondering how you've found the silent coat since fitting? Had it recommended and thought it may be a good combination of sound deadening and insulation.. Cheers Drew

Hi!

I think the concept behind the truck bed liner is sound, as to wether you notice a difference, to be honest with the engine, wind from the pop top etc, it's tricky to say. I had all good intentions of doing a slightly scientific study with a dB meter and a long road at a fixed speed to get a before and after noise reading - but as always, things got in the way, and never got the time to get this done.

I assume from a physics point of view it must be quieter because of the density of the product, along with the flashband i ised on the inner panels, my bus isn't particually loud, exhaust wise

I would say the other benefits of underbody protection would be more important than any advantage of sound deadening that it may have. Think it's a worthwhile thing to do.

Alistair

drew n steph said:
Thanks Alastair, ours is a tin top so may have further benefits.. Excuse my ignorance but underbody,? Drew

Soz, not reading the post correctly, there is a underbody spray on liner called silent coat or similar, my brain was thinking of that...You mean the stick on bitumin type pads? I used cheap flashband ype stuff from Screwfix, was just after something to take the "drumming" noise from panels, wasn't looking for the best stuff you can get for the quietest bus ever, the construction of the bus and the inner panels and lake of soft trim doesn't help, which is why a modern car is so much quieter, aside from the noisy air cooled lump in the back.

I reckon it should make a difference to panel noise, I did make a short video to show the difference bettween a panel with, and without the flashband I used, I cant get it to download to photobucket, and my browser is playing up on the works pc, so i can't view pages with script on correctly, but it is on my Instagram feed if you look, I'll see if I can link it onto this thread (I'll give it go over the weekend)

http://instagram.com/alistairogrady" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sound deadening, yes, propably little insulation effect. You'll need different products to achieve each goal, the sound deadening flashband i used is just one thing. As for insulation, you can see in earlier pages on my build what i used, since i did it, I now have loads of sheeps wool i was gonna use, but may be going off the idea of insulatiion at all behind the panels, as some people have suggested condensation may still form. It's a fair comment, i may look into this again if i get round to replacing the side panel with new wood.....possibly as the flashband is on the inner panel, it may have some insulation properties on the panel, it's not air to direct cold metal, so maybe not as much condensation? If i get round to replacing the wood, i'll post up my findings re condensation.

If you can get to the metalwork on the roof, I would use some sound deadening product there, there is bound to be noise transmitted there - used cheap flashband, or thicker more expensive fat mat or similar. Apparently, you don't need much on any given panel, 25% or so, and you dont need to cover the panel, I did, only as it was cheap, if i was using a better quality product, i may be more aware of placement.

Perhaps use that carpet underlay type stuff (for cars) or maybe even just closed cell reflective foam stuck onto the flashband product would give sound and insulation effects on the roof? Certainly bound to get condensation on the roof, not sure what the factory used, if anything?

In my westy, space amounts of thin (less than a inch in old money) fibreglass insulation were used in small quantities behind the panels where i used flashband you can see the remains on the panel work for the long side panel.

Anyway, it's late, and i still probably haven't read it right, any more questions, I'll reply over the weekend when my brain is more in gear. (I've edited it 3 times already :roll: :lol: )

Alistair

Hi,

New fuel hose bought from Advanced Fluid Solutions, and you look back through my thread, you'll see how long it's been on - about 12 months, and this is what I found the other day:

And this hose only a year old :shock:

So i can't recommend what i have fitted, which supposedly is the best rated stuff? So what now? - note to people with cloth braided hoses, replace it, even the good stuff I fitted doesn't seem to last.

What are the merits of plastic fuel hose instead of rubber?

Alistair

Kev946 said:
Shocking. I'd like to know what to fit for mine. Still go the cloth braided at the mo

Thing is, the braiding hides any cracking, you just dont see it!

I've posted a thread up with some things and links i found out.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alistair

Latest posts