Fuel around filler cap area.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony73tt

Reaction score
I have just returned from a cracking weekend touring Belgium and holland. However I'm having problems with petrol laying in the area below the full cap, I don't think it's coming from the cap itself, but could be wrong. The well behind the outer access door seems full of fuel and I haven't brimmed the tank. Is there a breather that runs to or from this area? Could that be the cause? Cap itself doesn't seem to be the problem. Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks Tony.

it can easily slosh up the filler tube with hard cornering... the spilt fuel should drain out the drain hole just below the filler cap [this hole is for draining water not fuel].

My issue was my pal driving didnt fit the locking cap properly and must have lost about a gallon on one trip. If you have a locking cap check the gasket inside the cap is not split.

what the breather should look like

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14753

Had a similar issue especially on roundabouts
It was the locking cap not secured correctly and so too loose albeit locked
Now I turn it until it's really tight, when it feels like it's too tight, that's about right

After further investigation, I think it's not draining from around the cap and just sits in there. Any ideas why it's not draining back.

Tony73tt said:
After further investigation, I think it's not draining from around the cap and just sits in there. Any ideas why it's not draining back.

It shouldn't get there in the first place unless the cap is leaking. It's fairly dangerous to have fuel spelling out of the cap every time you drive! There is a hole in the bodywork just underneath the filler cap, but this is for draining out water that gets behind the cap, and certainly shouldn't be relied upon to remove fuel that is collecting here. The hole drains to the floor, not back to the tank, for obvious reasons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get an old bit of clutch cable and mount in a drill to clear the drain tube out...

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Had this with my original cap, my son was complaining that he was getting showered with fuel round corners when he followed me in his Mk1 Golf Cabriolet. It just needed a new cork seal in the cap, although I did replace the whole cap (non locking)

I had same issue in France , especially going around roundabouts. The fuel cap is on the side the bus will lean to when going around. My issue was two fold. The fuel cap seal was shot, I got a new complete fuel cap, and the water drainage tube was blocked so and spilt fuel would collect in the fuel cap area and when cornering run down the side of the bus. cleaned with a long thin flexible rod.
Cheers

Just had this issue, for me it was because the cork gasket inside the filler cap had cracked. Bought a 3mm thick sheet of cork and made another- total cost £2 and it does seem to have solved the issue for me.

Latest posts