fuel guage and dials pod dismantling help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skidsurf

Reaction score
Hi Just trying to solve the good old fuel gauge issue were all plagued with. (68 bay)
Already replaced the fuel sender, the gauge goes right to full on key turn now, so pulled the dash dials pod out to look at the earth.

Pulled off the earth wire (A) and the dial drops to empty so dial must be ok?
The connector next to it (B) was wobbly though and suddenly touched the casing and blew the fuse!
So I pulled this wire out to take a look and what ever was connected on the inside fell off inside the dials housing!

So is this a simple case of removing the bolts to access inside the housing or will I be opening up Pandora's box here?

Any tips?

Cheers
Mike

No, it's not that bad. 8mm hex screws around the edge, pull the cluster out, two small screws on the fuel gauge dial to access the gauge itself from memory. Obviously disconnect the battery first, and label all wires.

Your B should be your ignition feed, so +12V when key on, and your A is the line to the tank sender.
The tank sender has a variable resistance to ground; the higher the fuel level, the higher the float and the lower the resistance.

If I disconnect the A wire on mine (1970), I get about 80 ohms resistance to ground when the tank is empty and 1 or 2 ohms when full.

If your tank is empty, you can simulate full by taking the sender out an turning it upside down (assuming you have access to it, because taking the tank out isn't so funny)

If your gauge is reading full scale at key-on with an empty tank then there's something amiss with the wiring (probably not the gauge). If B is correct (ignition feed) then your A probably has a short to ground somewhere.
I re-made the last section of mine where it goes through the fuel-tank compartment firewall because the insulation was shot.

HTH

thanks for the feedback.
Think i'll run a wire directly from dial to sender to test if your correct about there being a ground problem somewhere.
fingers crossed its just the wire, just want to tick this one off the list!
Cheers
Mike

Latest posts