Fuel pump issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2jim

Reaction score
After a long period standing I finally got the van back on the road at the beginning of the year. ( 1970 single port) It had to have a new fuel tank and new pipes under the tank and a filter over gearbox. However I went to start it yesterday after 4 months standing and while it turned over it would not start. After a quick look on here, I tested a few things and have now traced it to the fuel pump as nothing comes out into a bottle when cranked. The filter over the gearbox is full of fuel and I need to now disconnect the metal pipe into the pump to confirm a flow into the pump. Any advice on bunging the end of the metal pipe and any further checks I could do to the pump? If it is the pump any advice on repairs / replacement. It is the original pierburg and I can't seem to find a good repair kit from a quick look? New replacements look like the would require the metal pipe cutting back.
Thanks

Before you replace it, there’s a couple of things to check. Have you got fuel in the line leading to the pump? Has the tank got fuel in it, and isn’t parked at an angle meaning that the tank outlet is not receiving a supply? Are the fuel lines on the correct pump ports?

It is unusual for a pump to just fail completely, they normally start to dump fuel into the oil when the diaphragm starts to split. You might just have air in the lines and the pump isn’t able to pull the fresh fuel into it (air is compressible and if there is too much present, the pump will just be compressing / decompressing the air, rather than moving the fuel).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said above, you can retry the bottle test again but sucking on the pipe instead of the bottle but the pipes and tank are really trying to gravity feed so shouldn’t be an issue. The pipe feeding the pump Should have juice with a little suck and that will be enough to know if there’s a blockage further back. It’s also possible that the pump actuating rod has gradually worn away. If you take the pump off you should feel some suction on your finger if you pump it by hand. The GSF pump that I had as a replacement after mine surrendered might have lasted only a few hours, the next one is now about five or six years old so mixed feelings there bud. Have you tried chucking a capfull of juice down the carb throat? Just to make sure it’ll start.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,plenty of fuel will help a poorly oldy pump. ;) :mrgreen: ;)

Latest posts