Fuel tank removal '70 bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasAirCooler

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a '70 bay. He needs to remove his fuel tank and isn't sure on just how to do it. I figure of course the engine would have to come out first. My '68 doesn't have the tin between the engine and the tank. I haven't gotten mine home yet either or I would be able to figure this out. (I'm still clearing a trail to get mine out of the woods.)
I'm sure his does, being a later year.

Any help would be great.

your right, engine has to come out first and then remove the screws holding the cover plate on... when removed you will see to steel straps holding the tank in , underneath the tank are 2 x 13mm bolts that need to be removed (will need soaking in wd40 first as they can get a bit rusty... when there removed you can pull the straps out of the way and then undo the screw that on a clip holding the rubber filler hose onto the neck of the tank... then the tank will come out .... you will also need to disconnect the fuel pipe under the tank and unscrew the small pipe that goes into the bottom of the tank....

when you unscrew the firewall there are a few screws underneath the tank area behind the front tinware, make sure they are removed otherwise frustration will set in :roll: well it frustrated me when i couldn't remove it!

BeetleWarrior said:
(I'm still clearing a trail to get mine out of the woods.)

looking at you avatar just drive it out the woods :p :lol: :lol:

Latest posts