Garage storage during the winter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricksum

Reaction score
Any advice and tips would be appreciated on how best to store my early bay over the winter in a unheated but dry brick built lockup garage.
On how to reduce condensation and would insulating the ceiling be useful.

Condensation forms because of moist air on cold surfaces, so plenty of ventilation helps.
Leave the windows open. Lift the wipers off the windscreen.
Clean, dry and wax it but don't rub the wax off, pump the tyres up an extra 10 psi or stick it on axle stands, and leave the handbrake off.
Unless you're going to start the engine and run it up to temperature every couple of weeks, drain the fuel tank or add a fuel stabilising solution and run the engine, take the battery off and connect it to a conditioner if it's not being used for a while.

I store mine in a garage all year round, I leave the windows open by 1" from the top, open slightly the 1/4 windows in the rear, I also have 2 large moisture catches those that you pour the granules in and empty them every so often. On a nice winter day I get the van out the garage and run up to temp, pump the brakes and generally leave the doors open to let lots of air to circulate inside.

All of those things above are true and there’s no point insulating your garage if there’s no heat in there. I also use a proprietary water catcher, a bit like a ball with holes in the top with what looks like a blue toilet block inside. The blue block gradually disappears and you collect a lot of moisture in the bottom of the ball. I put mine in a container because I’m very very clumsy and knock stuff over for a past time. I usually have one in the front and one in the back of the van. Empty the liquid every week or two or three and helps immensely. The conundrum is that if you have the windows open and extra ventilation, you may indeed be adding extra moist air in to the van after you’ve just dried out the air that was there in the first place. :shock: Some use trays of salt with varying degrees of success as they do when they lockdown mobile home sites and caravan parks. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,It’s not a science,but there’s loads of variables :mrgreen:

I’d wax the bus before storing but I’d also polish it off - I wouldn’t want dust etc sticking to it.

Take perishables and curtains/materials out. Disconnect or remove the battery. Unless you really are going to drive it I wouldn’t be tempted to run it up, leave it till it’s ready to use and add fresh fuel.

For my bus and beetle just a good wash & polish then park it in my workshop but leave the window a bit and a dehumidifier inside. Start them and leave them running so their up to temp every couple weeks.

I use a small oil filled radiator in the garage to keep the temperature above freezing in the coldest part of the winter say late November to February. I leave the cab windows open a little as well. I sometimes use axle stands for a while as well mainly for checking underneath though. I have read that leaving in axle stands for long periods isn’t good for the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts