gas locker

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshaker

Reaction score
be interested to see where people store their gas cylinders.

been reading up and it seems that the ideal situation is to have a gas locker of some sort .... with a drop out/vent. my gas bottle is currently here:

CIMG3761Small.jpg

you can see two cutouts where i could put the bottle holders from the van i got the interior out of, but i'm not that keen on cutting big holes in the floor. was thinking of just putting a vent in the floor but maybe thats not enough?

i've looked online for gas lockers but hey all seem to be somewhere near £200. what does everyone do with their gas cylinders?????

Hi

Mine is in the Westy cupboard next to the slider, your supposed to have a floor vent as the gas is heavier than air so it will fall out should you have a gas leak, but like you i really dont wanna cut a hole in the floor so will take my chances :mrgreen: Besides the bed is a good foot off the floor and im sure there isnt that much gas in one of those bottles.....

Just

thanks. at the moment the plan is for a small vent but like i said, a little worried it won't be enough. the metal holders i got with interior do actually look quite good, the bottle sits inside and the vent is sloped down. it doesn't enclose the bottle though.

and, i have a socket in there too. comes from the external hook up. you can see the blue cable running to it. thinking that maybe the gas bottle really should be enclosed.

mine is in the cupboard next to the sink unit. I DID cut the hole in the floor and fitted a little vent, seems fine. Wouldn't want to take chances with gas.

that was my thinking really, i want a vent of some sort. i'm also worried about the socket and gas bottle being in the same place.

how are you anyway? van still ok?

as you can probably tell, i'm still not finished. nearly though. having some minor mot bits done this week. followed by a few nore bits ...... engine fire extinguisher, electronic ignition, alternator conversion, new headlights and indicators, clock fitted in the dash ..... want to sort a leisure battery charger that is wired in to the electrical hook up too.

Yeah all good, next thing for me is lowering! Not sure what route i will be taking yet, want to keep the ride as good as poss. Fancy a better look but also want to be able to get the bus in the garage.

get a gas alarm and there is no need to cut a hole in the floor ;)

http://www.busyoutdoors.com/shop/gas/gas-alarms/sola-larm-12v-multi-gas-alarm/prod_292.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember on Kamper forums years back there was a lot of chat about drop holes and the need for them. I dont usually run a cylinder system these days, just the cartridges, but I was thinking ... As I understand it, it isnt the ignition risk as much as the poison risk, given the fact that gas is heavier than air, the drop hole enables gas to exit south and keep you sleeping safely.

Now, given the capacity of a gas cylinder thats used in a van, and the fact it is heavier than air, is there actually a risk? unless you sleep on the floor? Surely the ratio of fresh air to gas is high enough to make no matter, and the hieght at which you (normally) sleep is high enough to secondarily take you out of any danger. Or have I missed a vital gas fact? :?

I dont much buy into the flash ignition risks given Dormobiles policy of fitting them in the engine bay and running pipe work righ to the front passenger seat! As long as hoses/connections are good and checked it should be safe.

and me, i just want it all to work without problem. added to the fact that i have a socket close to the bottle as well.

but what you say seems logical clem.

Latest posts