Gearbox and clutch issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefonze

Reaction score
Hi all, please bear with me as my Vw knowledge is limited.
I have come across quite a big issue with the box on my bus and was wondering if anyone has had similar or can help in anyway.
I had an oil leak from under my bus about where the flywheel is, I thought "it's the flywheel oil seal". After taking the engine out, we found the seal to be intact and it was infact gearbox oil that was leaking and it had soaked my Kennedy stage 1 clutch through.
After emptying the oil from out the gearbox we found some dreaded bits of metal in it!!!!
We took the bell housing off for further investigation and found that the bearing from the front of the box had shattered and the rear drive shaft had loads of play and signs of damage.

Now this is the question, my bus is a 69 bay and has a 1641 engine with a Kennedy stage 1 clutch and CA box. it was driving great till we found the oil leak and therefore I would like to ask if this set up has caused the fault or is it just a crap bearing? Also after deciding to replace the contaminated clutch for peace of mind I would like to know what is needing replacing, the friction plate or the complete unit? Also does anyone know where I can get a replacement rear drive shaft for the box?

Latest posts