Gearbox /cv flange seals

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Reaction score
Hi All

Seem to being having a mare at the mo , with every rubber seal / o ring seeming to give up the ghost and start leaking everywhere !
Today i decided to tackle the leaking gearbox ( both sides are leaking ) where the cv joint / boot fits .

After removing the annoying lock ring ( one with out holes) all seemed to be going reasonably

And left me at this stage

but for the life of me i can't seem to remove the seal !

Can anyone advise help know any tricks (or new swear words , i seem to have run out ) to get the bloody thing out .

Thanks

Chico

Just had this problem on my bus. You can screw a big self tapper into the seal, and this will give you something to get hold off to gradually lever it out.

Carefully drill a small hole close to the outer edge and pop a self tapper in. Then use a claw hammer or similar to lever it out.

DSC_0820.jpg

DSC_0821-1.jpg

Note the other screw hole in the picture didn't work as it was too far to the centre and didn't fully pick up the metal collar that supports the rubber, hence it just pulled out.

Latest posts