Gearbox recommendation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep and with a bigger/high perf engine you normally run remote cooling so the fan speed @ RPM is less an issue. And you have more torque so it just makes sense to lower the revs...Quieter, more economical...more fun :)

Humphrey said:
Yep and with a bigger/high perf engine you normally run remote cooling so the fan speed @ RPM is less an issue. And you have more torque so it just makes sense to lower the revs...Quieter, more economical...more fun :)

Sorry, remote coolers only cool the oil which has a minimal effect on overall engine cooling.
You still need the fan to turn at optimum speed to cool the engine. Air from the fanhousing is directed over the cylinder heads and barrels by the tinware, that's why they're called air-cooled engines.

Its a done deal. New gearbox coming my way, just need to decide what to get. I quite like the idea of being able to run at a true 70mph at low revs.

Regarding economy, do people really care that much? I think I get about 23mpg out of mine, but it's effectively my toy that will do less than 3K miles a year.

J.

sparkywig said:
Humphrey said:

Sorry, remote coolers only cool the oil which has a minimal effect on overall engine cooling.
You still need the fan to turn at optimum speed to cool the engine. Air from the fanhousing is directed over the cylinder heads and barrels by the tinware, that's why they're called air-cooled engines.

Sorry, arguably they are actually oil cooled engines, some race setups don't even run a fan shroud at all. Not suggesting you would do this on the street and I'm not even suggesting that the fan cooling isn't important...just that its less important if you have a good remote cooler on a high torque engine. - (source = personal experience, your mileage may vary!)

Alex VW Heritage said:
The freeway flyers you can get built in an earlybay 002 box so no messing around just a straight swap with a brand new gearbox.

I really need, ok want, one of these but is there really a 17 week wait? Not sure i fancy having all my money tied up with nothing to show for it for so long :-(

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Rancho-T2-Freeway-Flyer-002-Gearbox-Inc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;£350-S-Chg-AC300002FF_act_shop.product_pID_71864255_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1

Marriedblonde said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
The freeway flyers you can get built in an earlybay 002 box so no messing around just a straight swap with a brand new gearbox.

I really need, ok want, one of these but is there really a 17 week wait? Not sure i fancy having all my money tied up with nothing to show for it for so long :-(

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Rancho-T2-Freeway-Flyer-002-Gearbox-Inc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;£350-S-Chg-AC300002FF_act_shop.product_pID_71864255_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1

No, give Pete a ring at the Cogbox.

I take it Pete will take my box and replace the internals? Which means I will be without my bus :-( hence I was hoping if I could get a replacement it would mean I could just swap them over meaning I can keep using it.

Marriedblonde said:
I take it Pete will take my box and replace the internals? Which means I will be without my bus :-( hence I was hoping if I could get a replacement it would mean I could just swap them over meaning I can keep using it.

Give him a bell 0208 842 2580 see what he says. He is a top bloke. He may have something you could use in the interim.

Des

Hi I had posted this as a separate thread, but was told a similar thread already existed. So this question is for people with big engined vans who have up rated their gearboxes:

I've got a 2110cc engine in my bus, currently with a standard gearbox.

I'm planning on getting a more suitable gearbox with different ratios, so would like the advice of van owners who have done the same please.

What have you fitted and what works best ratio wise?
What difference does it make to engine running temp?
What difference does it make to driving the van?

I'm probably going to get one from bears motorsport rather than spend a fortune on an old used 2l box.

All advice gratefully received, ideally I would like advice from people who have driven vans with big engines and non standard gearboxes.

Thanks for looking

Paul

Marriedblonde said:
Alex VW Heritage said:

Only just seen this,

NO that is a over estimate to be safer than sorry, should be 6 to 8 weeks tops.

I am in the process of perusading the company to stock these if I can.

Latest posts