Gearboxes used for 1800 upwards

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodgins

Reaction score
I'm currently running a CA code box. I have a 1776 and when on the motorway feel like I need another gear tbh. It feels like high revs at 60mph so won't go any faster than 55.

What boxes are you using and how do you find it across the range of driving, pro's and cons?

I'm running a 5 speed 'box with my 1600 (stock except twin carbs).

Runs 3500 rpm at 70mph - much better than the standard 4th gear :)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conversion can be done for similar money to a decent 6 rib (4 speed 2L late bay) gearbox too.

The biggest upside is having a 5th gear means you've got smaller gaps between the gears, better for acceleration and hills :)

There are a couple of downsides:

The first is that gears 1 and 2 are a bit tall for a 1600, meaning low speed acceleration is possibly a little slower (than the 1600 gearbox), particularly uphill. Gears 3-5 are perfectly placed. I'm sure with a 1776+ it'd be fine - I've probably only got 55hp to play with.

The second is that the Porsche 901 gearbox has older style synchros (when compared to the stock gearbox), meaning that a slightly relaxed gear-change lever speed is beneficial for the synchros to do their thing. Not a problem unless you're racing, I'm not sure most people would even notice :)

Wit fit beetle boxes and sell a kit to do this into a bay window, on a standard bus we tend to run the AM code box which with a standard 1600TP with single carb sees 64-65mph at approx 3500 revs so perfect in my view thats what we run in the Valley Electric panel van.

Lots of people use a 1303s box as well, Steve Wragg (egotrippin on here) runs one of these combined with a 2110 and the bloody thing flies.

Lots of options out there but all down to how much you want to spend.

I would say the gap between 2nd and 3rd on a 2L 6rib box is to big for a 1776 loaded up for camping. Yes 4th is longer but the enjoyment wears a bit thin when your in 2nd doing 30mph revving its nuts off up slight inclines. Stick with stock and drive slower on the motorway is my advice

creationblue said:
I would say the gap between 2nd and 3rd on a 2L 6rib box is to big for a 1776 loaded up for camping. Yes 4th is longer but the enjoyment wears a bit thin when your in 2nd doing 30mph revving its nuts off up slight inclines. Stick with stock and drive slower on the motorway is my advice

What RPM is 30mph in 2nd with a 6-rib box? :)

With the 5 speed Porsche gearbox, 2nd gear at 30mph is only just over 3000rpm... as opposed to the 3-rib standard bay box which is doing 4500+rpm at the same speed...

Tofufi said:
creationblue said:

What RPM is 30mph in 2nd with a 6-rib box? :)

With the 5 speed Porsche gearbox, 2nd gear at 30mph is only just over 3000rpm... as opposed to the 3-rib standard bay box which is doing 4500+rpm at the same speed...

I cant exactly remember but its as fast as I felt I wanted to rev it at that speed. Probably somewhere around 4k

Thanks for the info so far.

At the moment the options seem to be a cn/cm code box, a freeway flyer? or Tofufi's idea :)

CreationBlue, I get what you are saying but it still feels/sounds towards the higher end of the revs at 55mph. It pulls up the hills lovely with the 1776 extra boost and will keep speed all day long. I'd just like the option of not feeling like I need to change up from 4th as soon as it's hitting 50mph. It's always useful to have a few extra mph for overtaking the trucks without feeling like the van is screaming in protest.

Hodgins said:
or Tofufi's idea :)

CreationBlue, I get what you are saying but it still feels/sounds towards the higher end of the revs at 55mph. It pulls up the hills lovely with the 1776 extra boost and will keep speed all day long. I'd just like the option of not feeling like I need to change up from 4th as soon as it's hitting 50mph. It's always useful to have a few extra mph for overtaking the trucks without feeling like the van is screaming in protest.

It works well in my bus ;) I felt, like you, that at higher speeds a longer ratio was needed. With my 1600 (so a bit less grunt than you) I normally change from 4th (which is the same as your 4th gear now) to 5th at around 40mph. :)

If you're near Bristol you're welcome to come for a ride in mine and see how the gear ratios feel :)

I would take you up on that if I was nearer, cool offer thanks. And yes it is just before the 40mph I naturally want to change up too.

For a 1776 built for torque I would recommend fitting the 1800 gearbox (or its final drive in the box you have, if its in good condition).

Hi Trikky, it's not been built for torque, more to cope with hills when loaded with the teenage daughter's copious amounts of clothes and make up lol

My requirements were nothing to fancy, just a steady cruiser that doesn't need to crawl up hills

Latest posts