Gearchange adjuster?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronmidg

Reaction score
The van is 71 model, with 2L motor and have just fitted a 6 rib box.

Kept the three rib clutch, housing, starter, and the gearbox mounts.

Just done first big run since the gearbox change about 400 miles round trip.

On the move the gear engagement into 2nd and 4th is very indistinct. Looking underneath the shift rod is hard up against the welded bar that locates the pin that keeps the rod centralised in 2nd and 4th. So my first thought to move the gearlever forward achieved nothing. The engagement in 1st and 3rd is very positive and easy to feel. The gearbox works fine in every gear. Had the lever out this am and cleaned all the gunk off the springs and slidy bits, parts are shiny, but no wear, nothing broke or bent.

It feels like the shift rod is a bit too long, I need to move some of the positive engagement from 1st/3rd to 2nd/4th/rev.

Anyone else needed to do this, or know how to adjust?

hi ihave had 3rd to second probs turned out to be the caged square bush at the back also needed to adjust the postion of grear stick base now its as spot on as 38 year old van can be lol

I find vw gearboxes so fiddly to gear all the gears right, if the rods do need adjusting the smallest bit of movement you do can make all the difference

very true westy my plate only needed a couple of mm adjustment but it made all the difference

Prime example, when i fitted my hurst gearshift kit, it took me 1/2 hour to fit the stick and 3 hours to get all my gears back :lol:

maybee said:
hi ihave had 3rd to second probs turned out to be the caged square bush at the back also needed to adjust the postion of grear stick base now its as spot on as 38 year old van can be l

what is the caged square bush at the back? is this the rear engine support bar? the bar supports on the main frame rails with oval holes and I have adjusted these to move the engine back withno effect 'cos its the centre support which seems to fix the engine/gearbox position.

maybee said:
very true westy my plate only needed a couple of mm adjustment but it made all the difference

There is only fore and aft adjustment at my gearstick base, have moved this forward with no effect 'cos the shift rod stops moving forward when it hits the pin support welded to the frame. When I stripped and cleaned the bits at the bottom of the gearlever it went back as it came out, there is no adjustment other than the few mm fore and aft, which only changes the position of the gear lever knob relative to the driver? Maybe a PO fitted a different gear lever as mine only goes together one way.?

The one bit I havent had apart is the joint between the front and rear shift rods, a wire locked bolt , if its like the rear with a pointy bolt sitting in a hole it wont be adjustable either, next bit of dry weather and I'll be looking at this.

Another job I have to do. Although all the grears go in smooth with no trouble, but third is long and sits very close to the handbrake handle. Skin off the knuckles job. Can you adjust the lever to compensate this?

streetboy said:
Another job I have to do. Although all the grears go in smooth with no trouble, but third is long and sits very close to the handbrake handle. Skin off the knuckles job. Can you adjust the lever to compensate this?

i know this all too well. Mines worse because due to the hurst shifter i have it hits the hand brake before you can get 1st gear. there for awkward hill starts and quite often a stall :lol:

streetboy said:

looking at the base of the gear lever you see 2 bolt heads, the plates the bolts go thru have oval holes, if you loosen the bolts and move the gearstick base back it will move the gear lever knob back some. The manual says should put the van in 2nd gear, then set the bottom part of the gearlever vertical. Post 72 there is a mod that locates the two plates together with a tongue each side of one plate that fits slots in the other, if you dont have this you need to be very careful when moving the assembly to keep everything lined up in a sideways direction or else will mess up finding the gates.

Well I had a go at loosening the two bolts and shifted it all back a touch. All gears are going in ok and now sits away from the Handle. Thanks for that ;)

fitted the new square rubber coupling and it made the 2/4 engagement worse. engaging sometimes went to never.

but with the old bush cut the rubbers and re-positioned the yoke holes 5mm closer to the pointy bolt hole, now gets every gear. There must have been a difference in the gearbox mount to nose distance that I missed when comparing the 6 and 3 rib.

Latest posts