Gearshift coupling ... why is the bolt so rubbish ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmann70

Reaction score
I`m just putting a new genuine gearshift coupling on my truck . The bolt thing supplied with it is terrible . Is there any reason why you can`t put a proper nut and bolt in there instead ?
Why isn`t this better ?

I fitted one like the pic from Limebug...
Made a big difference, but also transmitted loads of noise through vibration.
Now I use a standard bush with the bolt from the solid one and find it a great compromise (expensive bolt though!!lol)

Nice one . I`m using the standard VW coupling but with a M10 bolt . I just couldn`t see the benefit of using that shitty screw thing that comes with it over a proper bolt . I hoped someone could tell me why .

It's because the screw is designed to pull on the metal bush in the middle, which is supposed to expand like a rawl plug under the tension, eliminating the play in that joint.

Can you use a nut and bolt? Course you can. You may get more play than usual, but then when you consider the aftermarket parts available at the moment and the play in the rubbers/frame etc, i'd say it wont really make a noticeable difference at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts