Ggetting Engine Case apart with threaded bar problem...Junk?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr1ncognit0

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just thought I would outline a few problems I overcame in splitting my Engine Case over the weekend and if anyone has any comments which will assist in the rebuild and case prep please let me know.

Ok, took all bolts out the case and then gave the case a little tap with my block of wood and rubber mallet to start spreading it... it moved!

The threaded bars that go through the top of my case and nuts attached to them were all bent and I could only get one removed with ease. The others had to use my epic welding skillz.... to secure a nut on the bar and then socket it out.... theoretically I assume this should not have been necessary and I should have been able to leave them all in situ?

Ok the one at the top is not so Epic Skillz..... but effective!

hey are going to be fun getting new ones back in.... Any tips?

One little blighter had been butchered to within an inch of his life and having spread the case wide enough to get a modified hack saw blade in I had to cut it. (Pro Tip... if you ever need to get the end of a Hacksaw blade stick it in a vice and hit the end with a hammer as they are quite brittle.... eye protection a must.

Note: I got through 2 pairs of gloves trying to hold the blade and found I could grip it better with bare skin with minimal damage ..... Thumb and forefinger look like I have been attacked by termites today .... I recommend using decent gloves!

35 minutes later.... the case had been split.....

However I now have half of the bolt.... the half that is threaded into the case still in the case.... and I am wondering how to remove it without damaging the case... effectively there is a bolt flush with the case, screwed into the case with no way of getting purchase....

..... I assume I can get replacments (If so where?) and use a Tap to re thread the receiving holes?

At the very least... and I hope this is not the case ... I have a Junk Case and have provided a how to of ... how not to!

Cheers

Mr1

89Rallye said:
Drill them out, carefully.

Insulation tape works well on hacksaw blades using them like that.

Excellent, I will break out the Bosch (other drill brands are available).

Good pro tip on hacksaw blade!!
(I can't believe I didn't think of that.)

Getting studs in and out simply double nut tightening one nut against the other using the top nut for tightening(fitting) assuming RH thread & bottom nut for loosening (removing) assuming RH thread. Do you know how the studs came to be bent?

To get out the stud out you can buy easy out kits from snap on or Halfords each are different in the way they work but both DO work.
The Halfords one will cost less.
You will need to drill a hole in the centre of the stud so use a centre punch (size is determined by the size of the easy out you use) you then use the easy out tool that screws in using a left had thread once tight in the stud it will start to undo the studs from the case.
This would be my staring point before trying to drill the stud out.

Thanks for the tips I will have a look into that easy out kit.

I will practice the double nut technique next time... I tried it but both nuts turned...

The case was leaking oil from the bottom prior to splitting it, there was no cam sealant around the case.. but not sure what would have caused them to be bent, someone had certainly had a go at one of the bars in the past as was ground off and case nut missing... have no idea why??

Latest posts