got title of import bay - what next??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
I received the original Title and Bill of Lading in the post today for my 1968 deluxe on its way over from California.

What if anything can i be doing regarding the registering of the vehicle now i have the title? What do i do next?!

I presume i take the title to port to collect the bus?

any advise much appreciated!

here she is hard at work in CA
IMG_7062-1.jpg

Nothing can be done in the meantime and to be honest I'm not sure why you have been sent the title.

It needs to be presented to HMRC (or a copy of it does) to clear customs into this country together with the bill of sale from the seller but this is usually handled by whoever is looking after you this end (Kingstown Shipping etc)

You cannot start the reg process as you need a UK MOT and the customs form that will be sent to you in the post once it has cleared customs and obviously the title doc you have now,

to be honest i'm not sure i've got anyone looking after things this end??!!

I have used Rinkens international from Long Beach - they have told me that the carrier's destination agent in Southampton port is:
Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics so i suppose i contact them - sending them the title etc.??

I won the bus on ebay so i presume the item invoice print out would be ok for "bill of sale"?

The Stevedore should take care of the bill of laden and get everything sorted with HMRC, import codes etc.

your best bet would be to get the seller to write you a Bill of sale and sign it as they were the last person on the title.

you will need the title, the certificate from HMRC to say all duty is payed, (normally this is sent in the post after the bus is in your hands)

you will need to have insurance (on the chassis number) you can then arrange the MOT, you can drive too and from the MOT centre without being registered. be aware that US buses will need some work on the lights and indicators namely the red lenses changed so you have them flashing orange in some way.

Once you have the MOT, HMRC duty certificate, insurance, US title, you can then get your registration. be aware UK dvla will keep the US title so get it scanned if you want to have a copy of it retained for the history of the bus.

Latest posts