Grinding and Health and Safety - contains images of injuries

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just routed the back of my index finger but I'll spare you the photo. Also routed diagonally across the back of my thumb nail at the same time, but luckily a glancing blow 3/4 through so that was lucky! I've changed router blades 100's of times in the last weeks, but one wouldn't come out and while I was yanking on it I accidentally switched it on. Yes I've been unplugging it since every time. The trouble with this sort of thing is that a year or two later you can have forgotten and do it all again. Accidents do tend to happen when you're rushing...

The grinder one was more thought provoking. My finger got sucked in between the blade (2mm luckily not 1mm) and the so-called safety guard just for an instant. This was about 5 years ago and my grinders have not had a guard fitted since. I find I'm much more respectful to the unguarded beast and haven't hurt myself with it since despite going full time.

As far as PPE goes, it's a pain, makes things take longer etc, BUT I don't have to keep having days off with sparks in the eye etc, so overall it saves time - that's the way to look at it. Generally when I'm in a hurry and hurt myself, the most annoying thing is getting blood stains on the work and having to stop to get out the masking tape. I think most men would agree with this. I'm cross with myself of course - not because I nearly chopped my finger off, but because I have to stop and things are more awkward for a few days.

I got tinitis from grinding too, fortunately for me it doesn't seem to have affected my hearing much, just have permanent noise in my right ear, sometimes I'm sure I can hear it in my sleep, it's really annoying. Defo get ear defenders. Eye protection is essential regardless of anything else, it's so easy to damage yourself with any tools, even hand tools. Be careful people.

Even while having fun I have been a big fan of earplugs and a hood. While surfing and riding I have made a point to wear them. There are the couple of weeks in the summer that I don`t really need the hood but I miss it when I don`t wear it. That being said at 55 I am NOT a candidate for any ear surgery. Mrs. Bubbles still calls me radar ears. Its a given in the shop or with the feckin weed wacker. I do wish that in my indestructable days that I had worn more eye protection. I was told never get a MRI as I still have that wire brush bristle in my lense.

Since getting actively involved in DIY activities, I have habitually used safety equipment, like goggles, hardhats, leather gloves, dust masks and ear defenders; even wearing the ear defenders, when using the domestic vacuum cleaner and lawn mower.

Never place any part of your body, where a cutting tool could jump to, if the tool jams or strikes an obstruction. Safety is mainly a matter of forethought and predicting what could go wrong, which becomes almost second nature, with practice and experience.

I have stayed in bed hiding under the duvet since reading the updates on this thread :shock:

Not a bad thing though to be aware of the reality of a lapse in concentration. If you add to the horror pictures the hours and days in hospitals and lost days at work and no pay, then living with the consequences of broke and bent body parts, aches and pain and limited use it really really isn't a risk worth taking.

Stay safe and whole people :) Happy New Year x x x

Who knows what a "mule-skinner" is? It's like coral on a grinding disc for removing paint from panels.
I just ripped a chunk from the end of my thumb with one. Ouch! I'll spare the pics this time. :lol:

Sorry to hear that mate :( BUT !!!!!! You know the law round these parts :roll: Pics or it didn`t happen :shock: Although your thumb may beg to differ :lol: It also helps the others stay focussed :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Happy new year to you and your thumb / thumblet :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

ZedBed said:
Who knows what a "mule-skinner" is? It's like coral on a grinding disc for removing paint from panels.
I just ripped a chunk from the end of my thumb with one. Ouch! I'll spare the pics this time. :lol:

Maybe you need some 'mule-skin' gloves ;)

Take the rest of the day off to recoup ;) :D

I have been busy having a nervous breakdown mate :D Well I gave up smoking so it was on the cards :lol: Also I fell out of bed drunk onto my laptop and broke the screen so I couldn't work out what you were on about :lol:

type2tattoo said:
I have been busy having a nervous breakdown mate :D Well I gave up smoking so it was on the cards :lol: Also I fell out of bed drunk onto my laptop and broke the screen so I couldn't work out what you were on about :lol:

Fortunately, I have never had that problem! :D I've NEVER smoked and NEVER been drunk!

I decided to re-roof my shed today and all was going well until i got the cordless drill out.
I needed to screw a timber batten under the roof edge, got to last screw and drill slips
straight into my face :shock:
I work in the construction industry and usually quite careful, but this time i got caught out :oops:
Luckily i had my glasses on and that stopped the drill going into my eye!
So take care out there guys and gals ;)
Sore eyed
PaulsPhoneJanuary2012011.jpg
Paul.

Buddy,,,,,,,,, That was a close one,, bet it hurts but it could`ve been a hell of a lot worse :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, It`s all good that you ended up with two eyes :mrgreen:

Latest posts