Grinding and Health and Safety - contains images of injuries

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afternoon guys.

I want to know what eye protection people use when grinding as I have been unfortunate enough to need to go to the local eye unit twice in a couple of months to have a foreign body removed from my eye. In fairness in 19yrs of using grinders etc I have not had this issue much, last time was at least 10yrs ago and then it got around a visor and under the glasses so just plain bad luck.

Typically I use a full face shield with close fitting specs behind for the big stuff and then real close fitting specs for the small intricate stuff; I grind away from my line of sight so in theory coupled with 3M carbon filters and ear defenders / welders skull cap, welders gauntlets and long sleeve clothing I do my best to protect myself against injury. I have seen more than enough people use no eye or hand protection and I think they are mad, ironically them seem to get away with it.

I would add that I think I have only had issues when working directly under a vehicle, the last 2 times were using rotary die grinders with hardened metal rasps (so not expendable abrasives) which would lead me to think that it might have been a metal chip that fell into the eye and got into the eye by trying to remove it / rubbing the eye; the metal has not been the issue, it is the rust staining on both occasions which invoices scraping it off to remove it -this hurts as it heals up.

I am thinking of using ski type goggles from now on or swimming goggles behind a pair of specs as can't be going through the risk of more injury -it nothing else it is bloody painful

mattp said:
Afternoon guys.

I want to know what eye protection people use when grinding as I have been unfortunate enough to need to go to the local eye unit twice in a couple of months to have a foreign body removed from my eye. In fairness in 19yrs of using grinders etc I have not had this issue much, last time was at least 10yrs ago and then it got around a visor and under the glasses so just plain bad luck.

Typically I use a full face shield with close fitting specs behind for the big stuff and then real close fitting specs for the small intricate stuff; I grind away from my line of sight so in theory coupled with 3M carbon filters and ear defenders / welders skull cap, welders gauntlets and long sleeve clothing I do my best to protect myself against injury. I have seen more than enough people use no eye or hand protection and I think they are mad, ironically them seem to get away with it.

I would add that I think I have only had issues when working directly under a vehicle, the last 2 times were using rotary die grinders with hardened metal rasps (so not expendable abrasives) which would lead me to think that it might have been a metal chip that fell into the eye and got into the eye by trying to remove it / rubbing the eye; the metal has not been the issue, it is the rust staining on both occasions which invoices scraping it off to remove it -this hurts as it heals up.

I am thinking of using ski type goggles from now on or swimming goggles behind a pair of specs as can't be going through the risk of more injury -it nothing else it is bloody painful

If you get any form of debris in your eye, DO NOT rub your eye or try to remove the debris yourself, other than by gently irrigating the eye with clean water, poured from a jug or squirted from a sqeezy bottle having a nozzle with large internal bore so that the water is at LOW velocity.

If you know how to do it, it is possible for an attendant to evert the upper and/or lower eyelids, to better see, what if any debris remains and gain better access for water irrigation. If the irritation persists, contact you local medical practitioner.

My father, who was a GP for nearly 25 years, generally gave this kind of advice.

Wear close-fitting goggles, when using any tools (both hand-tools or power-tools), such as drills, lathes, grinders, milling machines, axes, cold-chisels, etc., which might result in flying debris. Likewise wear close-fitting goggles, when crawling under vehicles or working above you, where dislodged dirt and other debris (e.g. filings or saw dust), can fall into your eyes.

I found glasses still let bits in, so I got some goggles from Machine Mart. Work a treat! Only thing gets in my eye is smoke when I'm having a cigarette :lol: (obviously I've taken then off!)

Edit : I lie, it was from toolstation. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Workwear/Eyewear/d70/sd2775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 4th ones down.

They look just the ticket Whistler, I got so much crap I'm my eyes last time I was under the bus so these'll be ordered up by the weekend!

I got similar ones that someone got for me from their work. The more expensive ones are the proper job for what we muck about with. The cheapo ones are ok if you do one tiny little job just once in your life.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, How much for an eye ???? ;) :roll: ;)

Latest posts