Guido the B-Movie Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robb said:
great thread dave! got myself a cross over bus too.

youve really been building up those skills! nice one. so whatever happened to that two toned bug you had, the day you turned up at deanos?

Is that you Rob E? (said in a private joker from full metal jacket kinda way!) Yeh I been keeping busy! You got a crossover!? Cool - for a one year only bus they are so common! Didn't you have a nice early bay a while ago too?

yup that bus has long gone, picked up a one owner from new danbury from a guy who passes away around the corner from my parents. got every receipt from new, purchased new from where i live.

so what was the ride like with the lowered balljoint beam? not slammed just slightly lowered.

Robb said:
yup that bus has long gone, picked up a one owner from new danbury from a guy who passes away around the corner from my parents. got every receipt from new, purchased new from where i live.

so what was the ride like with the lowered balljoint beam? not slammed just slightly lowered.

Cool nice find! Sounds very nice, have you got a build thread yet?

What I found with my ball joint beam is that is rides the same as stock untill a certain point of adjustment. There seems to be a 'cut off' point in the adjusters where by the ball joint bottom out and there no play left then it rides like a sack of shit - If you look back through my thread you will seem the ride height I set it too on my ball joint beam and that was set to the very lowest so imagine it at that height plus maybe 1-3" in order to get a half decent ride. I honestly would consider the king and link option though dude - a slamwerks knl beam set to the highest with the correct tyre/wheel combo rides really nice and is already very low - you WILL have to notch the front if you do that though!

yer this was the 71 us bus
14072009289.jpg

and this is my danbury
ted.jpg

no build thread, other then lots of cleaning, there isnt anything to show.

will prob save for some dropped spindles then, as im not interested in swapping the beam.

going to bug jam?

Damn that looks pretty tidy. We have Bugjam tickets yeh. Providing everything is OK on Tuesday MOT then we will be there! Spending the weekend checking everything over so should be fine! Fingers crossed!

I assume you're going?

looking doubtful, nowhere to camp.

may just go for the sunday, see what happens.

you bus looks spot on now the rear is notched.

any future plans? 8)

Got a few small things planned for the future. Nothing too hefty though. Pretty happy with things at the mo.

Should see you at some point at Bugjam hopefully!

Right last update was over 2 years ago! Time for an update!

I'm going back to stock! Well... close to stock. Going back to an original stock ball joint beam with adjusters. Aiming for around a 3.5 - 4" drop. I still have my stock steels, I'm going to get them blasted and powder coated white. Or should I go OG and get them sprayed silver? New stainless steel hub caps should finish the look off nicely.

The reason? Boredom(?) I fancy a change and I need a project to keep me busy. I'll be doing lots of other bits of maintenance while the bus is up on the axle stands.

Played around in Photoshop and I've come up with this:

raised.jpg

No roof racks in this pic but I will be keeping both racks.

So the work begins! After a couple of last shots of it low (and VERY dirty!) He sits under a tree :(

AF19E910-A9D3-45C8-93F0-6F4CBA0E9C6E.jpg

78A99C62-670D-4B26-8B4D-8F0618117017.jpg

Off comes the Slamwerks 4" narrow King and Link pin beam:
094D7FDC-A5F6-4A50-AF1E-644EC0536FEB.jpg

E979AF99-263C-4881-A811-4D75D4ACC730.jpg

25B5988F-BC7D-4A78-9F1B-BF8CB4588FF5.jpg

Jake and Derek are coming to collect the wheels and the beam and to drop off a ball joint stock beam from Jake's new hightop (awesome btw). More updates in a couple of weeks all being well :D

davesmith84 said:
Right last update was over 2 years ago! Time for an update!

I'm going back to stock! Well... close to stock. Going back to an original stock ball joint beam with adjusters. Aiming for around a 3.5 - 4" drop. I still have my stock steels, I'm going to get them blasted and powder coated white. Or should I go OG and get them sprayed silver? New stainless steel hub caps should finish the look off nicely.

Silver wheels for sure!!!

I'm swaying towards white :(

Collected some '71 callipers off Kev946. Top bloke and great condition callipers.

Come on Jake! Get your beam off lad! I'm itching to get started! :lol:

And new tyres have arrived! Going with 185/60r14 on front and 185/70r14 on the rear. Wanted slightly bigger on the rear but I also wanted a matching brand all around. Closest was 185/70.

Thanks Zenwee, sure feel free! It's based on a rare bay westy interior - details are in this thread somewhere.

Sooooo peer pressure is a terrible thing!

D642B564-FBD3-4F3A-B20F-DFFA38BB3345.jpg

I went with SILVER! I really like white wheels but I think they look better on ealier bays, especially USA buses with white roofs. I thought I stay OG and go with silver and I'm really happy with the results.

Check out the before and after:
07C589CC-3005-477D-95D7-414CCE873F3C.jpg

883680C3-022A-4ECF-95B6-8FFF5A07D1E7.jpg

12357867-502C-461C-B038-106FD268BAEC.jpg

I got them done at 1st Class Alloys in Lichfield nr Birmingham. Great service. Very happy with the finished result.

davesmith84 said:
Thanks Zenwee, sure feel free! It's based on a rare bay westy interior - details are in this thread somewhere.

Sooooo peer pressure is a terrible thing!

D642B564-FBD3-4F3A-B20F-DFFA38BB3345.jpg

I went with SILVER! I really like white wheels but I think they look better on ealier bays, especially USA buses with white roofs. I thought I stay OG and go with silver and I'm really happy with the results.

Nice choice on the color. Is that powder coating? If so make sure you cut it out of the lug seats before you lose a wheel. Lets see some pics installed

Latest posts