Guinevere 1972 Campmobile DailyDriver (Tetanus Shot Needed)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soviet1942

Reaction score
Sold Samantha (1969 Transporter) and bought Guinevere (1972 Campmobile). I picked her up for $1000 which included 3 Motors, 2 Transmissions and an oodle of parts. :wink:

BEWARE OF RUST...LOTS OF IT :twisted:

This is my current daily driver and I couldn't be any happier. On with the pics!

Pictures of when looking at it:
IMAGE_029.jpg

IMAGE_030.jpg

IMAGE_031.jpg

IMAGE_032.jpg

IMAGE_033.jpg

IMAGE_034.jpg

IMAGE_035.jpg

IMAGE_036.jpg

IMAGE_037.jpg

IMAGE_038.jpg

When I came to pick her up:
IMAGE_039.jpg

IMAGE_041.jpg

Motors and parts! I had to make 4 Trips to pick up all the parts, way too many too list.
IMAGE_042.jpg

Cleaning the vynil
IMAGE_043.jpg

IMAGE_044.jpg

Done at 11PM, looks much better than what I started with as you can sit in it now without feeling dirty
IMAGE_045.jpg

Took out mat to see the damage up front
IMAGE_046.jpg

Drivers seat is rusted shut, it won't budge what so ever. Any ideas? :(
IMAGE_047.jpg

Started grinding out the rust to bare metal and priming to prevent it from getting worst.
IMAGE_057.jpg

Got excited with the nose and look what I found :evil:
IMAGE_056.jpg

IMAGE_059.jpg

IMAGE_060.jpg

IMAGE_061.jpg

TADA! For now at least
IMAGE_062.jpg

Picture on day 2
IMAGE_058.jpg

Motor is from a 1976 Bay Window, has external oil cooler, 009 and weber 2 barrel carb. He says he put stainless valves and a cam but I can't see them so I won't say it does have it. Does leak oil though, lots :cry:
IMAGE_063.jpg

Ordered eyelids, a new exhaust which was much needed and super awesome red baron shift knob all from MAMotorworks
IMAGE_068.jpg

Old v. New Exhaust (I like the sound, must quieter)
IMAGE_075.jpg

IMAGE_071.jpg

Attempted to clean the bottom of the tin while installing the exhaust, I think my heater boxes have cracks/broken
IMAGE_076.jpg

IMAGE_080.jpg

IMAGE_079.jpg

IMAGE_077.jpg

Showing off the new exhaust
IMAGE_081.jpg

I then decided to clean that nasty poptop I had:
IMAGE_082.jpg

IMAGE_083.jpg

IMAGE_089.jpg

IMAGE_085.jpg

A Ladybug came and visited :p
IMAGE_087.jpg

IMAGE_091.jpg

And a link to the exhaust:
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/Pimpio69/Guinevere%20-%201972%20VW%20Campmobile/?action=view&current=VIDEO_0082.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is what I have done so far. I am going tomorrow to buy a welder, finish my radio installation and prepare for Winterjam which is this weekend. :shock:

have you used a welder before (after reading your going to buy one)

this looks like a serious project, ive seen much better buses scrapped :shock:

you are indeed brave!

It looks alot better already :eek: & a very good price as you got all those parts thrown in.
Keep at it & enjoy :D

Never used a welder before but there is always a time to start :lol: :shock:
I'll probably pick up a welding course at my university and go from there. Bus does look scary but I like that it will keep me entertained for a while.

The first pictures, I saw the rust, but couldn't see the van :lol:

Good luck as it looks like a major project ;)

looking over it again i have to say i admire your enthuiasm, are you going to replace the rust or run it rat? either way it will be a brilliant resto thread 8)

Check my sig and that is the focke wulf theme I had created for the bus. I might do that but I don't know if I want to do the "great wave" inspired theme I made.

11166_183826016570_548841570_3363469_2685911_n.jpg

Its the top one. So should I do the focke wulf of the great wave? I don't plan on doing a full OG resto but I do plan on fixing all of the rust, POR15, undercoating and making it look good.

Nice one dood, loads of work, but im looking forward to seeing the result that eagle style one looks ace 8)

soviet1942 said:
Check my sig and that is the focke wulf theme I had created for the bus. I might do that but I don't know if I want to do the "great wave" inspired theme I made.

11166_183826016570_548841570_3363469_2685911_n.jpg

Its the top one. So should I do the focke wulf of the great wave? I don't plan on doing a full OG resto but I do plan on fixing all of the rust, POR15, undercoating and making it look good.
DO THE ONE AT THE BOTTOM, ITS PROPER COOL!!!!!!!! :D

What if I do one side America Kittyhawk theme and the other side German Focke Wulf theme :shock:

soviet1942 said:
Never used a welder before but there is always a time to start :lol: :shock:
I'll probably pick up a welding course at my university and go from there. Bus does look scary but I like that it will keep me entertained for a while.

Tis true there's some man hours there pal.I think I'm right in saying most welders would have walked away ( But there just welders and not bay enthusiasts)
Good on you stick at it ;) You paint schemes are mad and I'd love to see it like this
greycopy.jpg

Hope you don't mind ,I just had to have a play

soviet1942 said:
What if I do one side America Kittyhawk theme and the other side German Focke Wulf theme :shock:

Hi!

That would be cool, i also like the wave theme too.......! Either wood be good, you following it off with a theme inside the bus?

Cheers!

Alistair

Just drove her to Daytona and back for Winterjam, I say a total of 650 miles driving to and back and also visiting my dad. She did good other than the fuel pump wire coming loose on the coil twice. :evil:
I will say though that there was oil everywhere on my tin, something is leaking...BAD
Someone at the show told me it is most likely my pushrod tubes so I might start with that. I also read that the oil cooler seals go bad and oil filler neck leaks. Just trying to figure out what I should try first.

Here is a link to the pictures I took of WinterJam, it is a public link so you DO NOT need to be registered to see them:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=154801&id=548841570&l=039d8ef8d2

Nothing like are winter shows :( wheres the rain/snow & mud :?: :mrgreen:
Seriously though looks a good show & serious mileage for your first trip 8)

Ah the courage of the young :mrgreen:

Draw the waves again but make it more psychedelic 60's styleeee with a big sun on the nose or sumtin???

Focke wulf theme is well kewl also......

Latest posts