Gunter - 69' Adventurewagen conversion + Dodge & crewcab projects

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New year, new wheels. As well as new headliner and cab mats. Have some engine plans for this year too, but it won't be until after summer...

Wheels were cheap for a reason. I hate sanding...

After

Fantastic work mate and glad you and the family are getting lots of enjoyment from it.

Family all love it, We're off camping for a few days, so cracked on replacing the mouldy head lining and carpets. Carpets were off ebay, and although good quality and well finished, were a terrible fit...

New headlining in and lights etc refitted. The sisal we used for the headlining was from ikea. It took 2 £30 rugs to do the front and rear sections

As said above, the mat set for the cab was a shocking fit. Unfortunately I'd made cuts whilst fitting so we're stuck with it for now. Main mat was too narrow leaving a 1/2" gap by the doors and about an inch too long at the kick panels. Arch mats were worse, but all the bad bits will be covered by the bench

Made some tweaks to the bench while it was out - brought it fwd by an inch. Also repaired the parcel shelves that the kids keep standing on and breaking (near one fixed, furthest one knackered). Also fitted 3 point retractable belts.

Lots of brown staining has appeared over winter - due to a land rover project the camper spent the winter on the drive under a cover which is the cause of the mould/rust. Something to sort when the weather warms a little...also ordered a window rubber set.

We've been collecting a few goodies over the past couple of months, and with a few days off work this week and the mrs working, I can play

First off was a set of dropped spindles and adjustable spring plates. Started no the fronts today. While I was there I also replaced all of the steering ball joints as well as the damper. The lowering stuffs all transporterhaus...spelling???

First attempt was too low

Second is still a little too low. I'd love to keep it like this, but I'd never get off the drive!

Also brought a set of seals from C&C. Very good quality/fit. Hardest part is getting the metal deluxe trim in. First one went well. Rubber on glass first, then fit the trim, then fit the lot back into the bus using the well known cord method - which worked a treat...

Doing exactly same with c and c seals, likewise fit well, the deluxe Crome is a proper pain in the azz

Got the adjustable spring plates on and a hight set after faffing around for the morning. Only issue is the standard shocks have bottomed out and I only have 1" clearance for the driveshafts...

Been away in him a dozen times this year and loving every minute, but we've brought an american RV, so Gunter may be going either into hibernation or a new home...yet to decide and need to see how the finances look. Few pics from today followed buy some of Gunter's younger, bigger brother:- Honey-monster:

Also got the trailer painted;

And the dodge. 5.9 mopar V8, 25ft long, just under 8ft wide and plated at 4.7t. Totally original and stored in a purpose built barn for 20 years. So different, but to us, just as cool!

You cant deny the Dodge definitely has room for the family but does the garage have room for the Dodge :?:
Can I ask what towbar and exhaust you have on the bus?
Great thread by the way very interesting

1dub said:
You cant deny the Dodge definitely has room for the family but does the garage have room for the Dodge :?:
Can I ask what towbar and exhaust you have on the bus?
Great thread by the way very interesting

Cheers. The garage is reserved for the bus and we're keeping the dodge at a local storage place for now.

The tow at is a modified Clio item and it only for our small trailer as its mounted to the bumper brackets. The exhaust is a standard back box with a vintage speed looking tailpipe I made from some 2" s/s tube found in a skip at work.

Hi guys, does anybody have contact number for 'the jones' ?
Trying to get hold of him for days but have no luck. Thankyou

After sleeping on it, we've done the wrong thing and sold Gunter. He's gone to a good home, but it's been lots of tears from my wife and kids :sad0049:

We got a price we were happy with and can crack on with the Dodge, but we're all feeling like we've lost a friend. Our last pics of Gunter:

We'll be back one day...

I am glad you found Gunter a new home, however I know from when I came to view just how attached your family were to him. Good luck with the Dodge!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

It's not an early bay, but should be collecting this next week. Going to be wrapped up for a while until the dodge and my series 3 are finished.

Just thought id post here....gunter is with its new owner and not alot has happened. Its a real credit to 'the jones' as its done so well i cant find alot to do to the bus.....but here it is.....

I've got plans to change the wheels soon, new curtains are at the mothers and have to change the seat height due to being a bit taller than the jones'....will keep you posted

Latest posts